19 December 2004

Canada's Funniest Comedian, Eh

I'm watching the "Last Laugh 2004" special (rerunning) on Comedy Central, and Norm MacDonald is giving the opening monologue. Saturday Night Live should have never let this guy go. I saw him in Spring of 2001 with my dad, after watching him on SNL. He's seriously hilarious, although he sounds a little drunk.

[Paraphrased] "So for all the dumb guys like me, the candidates had these commercials with animals. And there was this one, and it had wolfs. And... The guy, he says, 'Do you want to get eaten by these wolfs!?' And I'm thinking, 'No! That's the last thing I want!' So that was a good one. And then, the other guy, he had this commercial where it asked, 'Do you want to be an ostrich, or an eagle?' And I'm thinking 'Wow, that's a tough one,' and he says 'The eagle, you idiot! That way you'll be too high for the wolf to jump up and eat you!'"

With Norm, it's about a quarter the line itself, and three quarters the delivery. One of my favorites is this old monologue. And the constant references to Germans loving David Hasselhoff? Outstanding.

More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home