25 January 2005

Requiem for Hubble

The space science community is lamenting the current version of the 2006 federal budget, which has eliminated a mission to service the Hubble Space Telescope.

There's an article on CNN, and two at Space.com (link, link). Astronomers still have hope, but my guess is that there are more tax-paying constituents to worry about than disgruntled astronomers.

My reaction? I've been a space nerd since I was a kid. I'd love to see the Hubble serviced one last time. On the other hand, it would cost a rather impressive sum of money to extend the Hubble's life. Considering the fact that the HST's purpose is purely scientific, with little or no tangible benefit beyond the employment of scientists, I have a hard time justifying its restoration to myself. I believe I also read that the HST has outlived its design lifetime already.

It's unfortunate, but I think that eliminating the Hubble is the right thing to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home