27 February 2005

Bilingual Idiocy

Oh, come on, give me a break.

LEBANON, Tenn. — A Tennessee judge is under fire from some civil libertarians, and now a higher court must decide whether a parental language requirement is an issue of civil rights or child welfare.

“He can no more order people to learn English or lose their children than I can order you to learn Spanish,” said Jerry Gonzalez, a civil rights attorney. “The First Amendment has clearly been interpreted to mean that we can all communicate with our children in whatever form we want to.”

Only in America can someone be criticized for telling someone they need to be able to speak the language. I don't know the details of the case, but it can all be summed up with one simple question: If you can't speak English, then what are you doing in America in the first place?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm, Fly, I think that isn't such a good thing to say. As long as the people who come to the United States try to learn the language, it's cool. Some come here not knowing it, but make a good faith effort to learn, and they turn into very successful, useful, Americans.

9:27 PM  
Blogger The Fly said...

First thing's first, if you're going to post on one of my comments, and particularly if you're going to post my real name anonymously so that I have to erase and repost your comment, at least have the decency to leave your name or some way for me to identify you.

Second, I think that this article makes it obvious that these parents weren't making an effort to learn the language. If I decide I want to move to Japan in order to make a better life for myself, guess what, I'm going to learn enough Japanese to be at least conversant in it before I go. It's not unfair of me to ask the same of people who move to my country.

The United States may not have an "official language," but welcome to the real world. The de facto "official" language is English, it's been spoken here for almost four hundred years. I had ancestors who came to this nation from all over Europe, and a lot of them didn't come from English-speaking nations (Germany being the most prominent). Guess what... They learned English!

This nonsense of putting signs and commericals and television shows in Spanish because illegals can't speak English is getting absolutely ridiculous, and it's high time it was ended. This isn't xenophobia on my part; anyone who wants to can come here, so long as they do it legally and can support themselves. If you can't speak English, then you can't truly support yourself in the United States.

Jesus meets you halfway. Th Fly doesn't have that luxury, nor that policy.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home