26 March 2005

Fly on Galactica

Okay, Galactica's starting to get good. Seriously. If you're not watching it, you're missing out; unless your name is Lycan, in which case you're probably getting some, and can be otherwise excused. (By the way, what happened to your site, mate? All your posts are gone!)

Battlestar Galactica is pulling off all sorts of different things: politics, spirituality, romance, action... And it's pulling it all off with effective dialogue and realistic interpersonal relationships. Folks, this is some of the best drama I've seen in a long time on television, and it's some of the best science fiction I've seen in a long time, too. I tend to enjoy Enterprise; so far, Galactica has made Enterprise look like the ugly step-sister to Galactica's Cinderella.

And they just pulled out an obscure reference to Greek philosophy. Holy sweet glaven.

The one thing I'm worried about at this point is that some of the progress they're making, while helping to advance the storyline, seems to be getting them closer and closer to Earth (which, as far as I can tell, would mark the end of the series). President Roslin is supposed to live no longer than six months, and the scripture they're using says that she won't live to see their destination. I think it would be a shame to have such excellent science fiction on television, only to let it end after two seasons. As far as I'm concerned, I haven't seen original television Sci Fi this good since Space: Above and Beyond, which only ran for a single season even though it retains a major cult following.

Sip, I'm telling you, man: it's worth the effort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home