16 April 2005

Lazy Saturday Afternoon

Right now I'm cleaning up my bedroom. Specifically, I'm doing something that's long overdue: reorganizing my CDs. I have a very particular system of organizing my CDs.

The general section, which basically translates into "Rock and Roll", begins on the top shelf with my complete collection of U2 albums and EPs. Things then go in descending order. After U2 is Chris Isaak, whose entire catalogue I have, but that consists of less releases than U2 (as U2's career has been both more prolific and longer than Isaak's).

We then come to the normally organized section. There are two bands that I have six discs for (well, nine in the case of Pearl Jam, but those are two-disc live concert releases). Even though I'm a much bigger Proclaimers fan than I am a Pearl Jam fan, Pearl Jam comes before the Proclaimers because I have six releases from both. Within an artist's section, they're arranged chronologically. For instance, the Proclaimers are arranged as follows:

  • This is the Story (1987)
  • Sunshine on Leith (1988)
  • Hit the Highway (1994)
  • Persevere (2001)
  • Best of '87-'02 (2002)
  • Born Innocent (2003)

    From there it goes to Hootie and the Blowfish, which comes before The Offspring, each weighing in with five albums, organized chronologically. Get the picture?

    Following the general section, we come to the specialty sections. Comedy, then soundtracks and easy listening. I've also got an extensive Christian music section, most of it dating back to sophomore and junior years of high school before I became disillusioned with the corrupt Christian music industry.

    Since 1996 I've amassed a collection of perhaps two to three hundred compact discs, and I rarely get rid of much of anything. For example, my original copies of Switchfoot's The Legend of Chin and Third Eye Blind's self-titled debut album are both scratched up. This has required me to purchase replacement copies; for some reason, though, I haven't ditched the original copies. (History majors have a hard time throwing things away.) Needless to say, the whole thing is a daunting task.

    How about you wankers? What are you up to today?
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home