07 July 2005

Learning to Breathe

Wow. What a day.

I arrived on campus a bit late. I would have been on time, but when I was in sight of the car park I found myself about forty seconds too late, and had to wait several minutes for a train to pass. Class was good as usual; for those of you who were wondering, today it was a pink satin thong (I think? Maybe polyester? I didn't check that closely.) with trousers that needed a belt (obviously), and that stupid thing girls are doing these days: wearing two spaghetti strap tank tops and a camisole. Who comes up with this stuff? I wear one T-shirt, and that's it. At most, I wear an undershirt and a button-up shirt. Dig?

I went to the gym, and did an aggressive (for me) running workout: four sets of three minutes running, plus a five minute set in the middle. Seventeen minutes total, as opposed to fifteen last week. I didn't do it quickly, but I kept running, even when my body was whining at me. I've struggled at running since I started trying to do it in 2000, so it's baby steps all the way. All I'm trying to do at this point is put laps on my legs, and keep myself running. Once I can keep running for an extended period of time, then I'll work on time and distance. Until then, it's all about keeping my legs shuffling.

After that, I hit the stationary bike and read a chapter in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, then did my sixty standard pushups, eighty declined situps, and nine machine-assisted pullups. The last set of pushups wasn't terribly pleasant, but I didn't hit failure on any of the three sets. When all was said and done, I stretched back out, and went home.

I worked for an hour, taking care of a couple of specific tasks and then a few general ones. The last order of business was an interesting one. I can't say for a fact that I've ever seen a squirrel in Hometown, though neighboring College City has lots of them on campus, mainly on account of the large, semi-wooded city blocks with no natural predators. Today I saw what may very well be the first large grey squirrel I've ever seen in Hometown: roadkill, and on the low traffic road adjacent to the car park. I got a snow shovel out of the garage, and scooped it up... Then left it on one of the kerbs in the car park. Why?

Because about a week ago, I got on the phone with Rampage, and we arranged to meet up for a late lunch/early dinner while he was on his way home to Hippy Central from the Dry Village. Once he arrived at work, I showed him the squirrel (yeah, I know, really civilized of me), then we tossed it in the dumpster. (For what it's worth, my dad is seriously considering getting it mounted by a taxidermist; welcome to my world.) Rampage and I went to a regional sub sandwich chain store, and then back to my place to eat. I got changed for the evening shift at work, and then we drove back and he was on his way.

Work in the evening was uneventful, and instead of resulting in a completion of my Mormonism paper, it resulted in the news roundup you see below. Now I'm watching reruns of Full House. Since no post about my day would be complete without a bulleted list (which I can thank Kilroy for, as he inadvertantly taught me how to do real bullets instead of just asterisks), these are the things I've learned from less than an hour of Full House:

  • You know how the Olsen Twins (or at least, the one who's not the richest child skeleton in the world) are really hot? That developed after their involvement on Full House. During those days, they were just one annoying little girl, and not attractive at all.
  • On the flipside, Marla Sokoloff, who's unattractive in a somewhat unorthodox sort of way (as opposed to Mena Suvari, who's attractive for reasons that nobody can really understand, at all), guest starred on eight episodes of the show as Stephanie Tanner's friend Gia Mahan.

    I'm going to bed pretty quick. Once again, I'm beat. I'm starting to really like this feeling. I learned a lot about myself during my college years, and now that I'm ostensibly finished, I'm continuing to learn about myself. I love feeling like I've accomplished something, and I love coming home sore enough to know that I've accomplished something. (Sweet merciful glaven, there's already a second Theo moment in one episode.) I love knowing for a fact that I'm doing things that are good for my health, and I love knowing for a fact that I'm learning things that will not only exercise my mind, but give me a greater chance of working in a field that I'm uniquely qualified for.

    I guess you could say that in several different ways, I'm learning to breathe.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home