31 August 2005

Beauty, Power, Pain, and Money

And it was all before 09:30 PST.

As I mentioned last night, I had to get up early in order to get to work and take care of a couple of things. At about 07:40, I saw a couple of attractive young ladies, probably brand new teachers at the school across the street, unloading some stuff for a classroom and struggling with a big purple tub full of stuff. I yelled across the street and asked if I could help; they declined, but before I got back into the house, one of them yelled and said it would be good. I walked over and hauled their massive purple tub, which two of them had struggled with, all the way to the classroom of the really attractive brunette. She didn't seem very interested in me, so I suppose it's a bit of a bust. But really, who cares? I demonstrated my mighty power in front of attractive girls.

So after that, I went down to work. I gassed up the van, and then went to wash it. Unfortunately, during the first phase of washing (the roof), I was up on a ladder. I slipped, or reached down, or something; I forget what it was that I actually did; however, my thumb rubber wrong against the wooden ladder I was on, jamming a sizable sliver between my thumb and my thumbnail. In the words of Ned Flanders, it hur-diddly-urt like the di-diddly-ickens! I tried digging it out with tweezers. No luck. I tried clipping the nail back, then grabbing at it with tweezers. No luck. Then I clipped the nail back further and dug at it with a needle. I finally got enough of it moved so that I could get a grip on it with the corner of the tweezers, and on the third or fourth attempt I got it out. Now I'll be soaking it in rubbing alcohol a couple of times a day for the next week or so.

At any rate, this put me way behind schedule, so we adjusted our game plan at work, and I took the van through the car wash. I got back to work and grabbed my paycheck. Lo and behold, those seven or eight opportunities to work in the middle of the night paid off, and resulted in the first American paycheck I've ever received that was in excess of one thousand dollars. Now, through frugal living and free room and board from my parents (a temporary situation, ladies, I assure you), I have in excess of $2200 in the bank. Most of it's not what you'd label "disposable income" (as if anything is really disposable), but it's a good start.

So, there you have it. I've done more already than most of you (particularly Lycan) will do all day!

And speaking of today... How in glaven's name is it already Wednesday?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home