28 September 2005

The Delay Indictment

Well, they've finally indicted Tom Delay on charges of campaign finance malfeasance.

WASHINGTON - A Texas grand jury on Wednesday charged Rep. Tom DeLay and two political associates with conspiracy in a campaign finance scheme, forcing the House majority leader to temporarily relinquish his post.

A defiant DeLay insisted he was innocent and called the prosecutor a "fanatic."

"I have done nothing wrong ... I am innocent," DeLay told a Capitol Hill news conference in which he criticized the prosecutor, Ronnie Earle, repeatedly. DeLay called Earle an “unabashed partisan zealot” and a "fanatic."

I'm going to be completely honest, as usual: I think this is the result of a partisan witch hunt. There have been accusations leveled against Delay by political opponents for a long time now, including accusations of such "malfeasance" as paying his family members for their work as staff members on his campaigns. The folks who make these accusations do the exact same thing.

I'm listening to Medved about it right now, and it sounds like the case is very weak to begin with. My guess is that Representative Delay will be acquitted; I'm also guessing that he won't return to his leadership position in the House, though I could be wrong.

I'm no fan of Delay; I think he's done a fine job, but he doesn't walk on water in my eyes, and I have no problem with him remaining in the House of Representatives, but not being House Minority Leader. I dislike that turncoat Frist even more, but that's not the point. The bottom line, though, and I know of at least one frequent reader who will probably disagree with me on this, is that partisan lefties are so raving, and so desperate, that they've resorted to these kind of witch hunts. They can't come up with any dirt on Karl Rove, so they accuse him of leaking Valerie Plame's identity. They can't come up with any dirt on John Roberts, so they accuse him of being Roman Catholic, and they claim that some non-racist memo he wrote as a young Reagan legal clerk is proof positive that he's unfit for his job.

This sounds to me like yet another long-standing political witch hunt by partisan folks whose years and years of digging for any shred of dirt on conservatives yields nothing. I hope they sputter and cough, and then fail. Both parties should be above this kind of idiocy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home