26 September 2005

Nitpick

This Friday TBS Superstation is showing Gladiator, which happens to be my favorite movie. I have to say, I'm disgusted by the adverts they're running. They're manipulating the footage, and putting it to a slow dance beat, looping clips to make it look like the cast is "throwing their hands in the air, and waving them like they just don't care". Simply disgusting. "Kick it old school with Russell Crowe in 'Gladiator'". You're kidding, right?

And the ultimate insult? "If your parents named you 'Maximus Decimus Meridius' [Crowe: "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius."] you'd be angry too." And some ad wizard at TBS couldn't even spell "Meridius" right on the screen; they've got it spelled "Meridious", which is wrong.

I know that Manda is going to say that I have breached the existing wilderness of nerdery, but honestly, this is nothing but a cheap sellout. Gladiator won Best Picture in 2000; it doesn't need some cheesy hip hop dressing to get people to watch it.

Idiots.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

chill out.


i liked the "cheap" advertisement...

made me laugh...


like you said...it won best picture in 2000... we've all seen it... we know what the movie is about... i don't want to see the same advertisements over and over...

tbs > you

4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home