29 December 2006

Laziness is Business as Usual

I had expected to get a lot more written while I was up here for my two weeks of holiday. I still intend to get that post about North Korea written up and posted; hopefully tonight, as it's unlikely to be a late one. In my defense, here is a partial list of the folks who I've seen while I've been home.

  • Anachronism
  • Shamrock
  • Ariadne
  • Carol (former co-worker)
  • Timber Ghost (former co-worker)
  • Company Ink (former co-worker)
  • a Cassie and a Cassy (not at the same time, just ironic)
  • Stephanie, Young Nathan, Jared, Christine and Joel (Socratics)
  • Desert Rat Tim
  • Father Time
  • Professor Augustus (college mentor)
  • Heidi and her mom (high school buddy)
  • Mormon Buddha and Mrs. Mormon Buddha (college buddy)
  • Lieutenant Colonel Spook (college mentor)
  • Big Red and Mrs. Big Red (college buddy)
  • Furious D, Mrs. D, and Baby D (college buddy)
  • Shelben and Miss Tina (from the radio station)
  • Squinky (middle school friend)
  • Super Dave (college buddy)

    As I mentioned above, this isn't even a comprehensive list, though there are many others who I would have liked to have seen. I didn't even make time to drive all the way up to Metropolis, which means that I didn't get a chance to see the Dark Horse Sandal Man or The Frenchman. (Also, I think April must have black-listed me or something.) In the next twenty-four hours, the plan calls for meetings with:

  • M@
  • Gus and Saint Jen
  • Christie (college buddy)
  • the Novus Matriarch and my mother's mother

    I think I've probably added a few pounds while I've been here; it's fairly rare to get together for a walk, or to browse through a book store. It seems like every meeting we have with each other involves food in some way. Yesterday I had a breakfast with Furious D five or ten miles west of College City, lunch with Father Time in Hometown, then an appointment for tea back in College City, then an appointment for dinner with M@ (which he totally flaked out on, seriously). Once I get back to Zoo Station, I feel that I shall have no choice but to start actually exercising, as I've said for months that I was going to do. I see it as sort of a slow process.

    Once I arrived in Zoo Station eight months ago, I had no time to do all of the things I wanted to do; instead, I went to work, returned to the Station, and did the things I had to do. As I've settled into my routine, I've been able to reliably add things like writing, reading, checking the news, checking my Bible readings, et cetera. Every day, I have a list of things to do that reads as follows:

  • PT (exercise)
  • Bible (read one chapter per day)
  • News (world news: Fox, CNN, BBC)
  • Read (preferably a book, sometimes Internet)
  • Write (blogging, journaling, letters)
  • Work (I can cross this off by showing up)

    I have gotten to the point where I'm accomplishing every item on that list on a daily basis, save for the first item. Scheduling is tough, but I think that I can start making this happen; and indeed, I need to start making this happen, not because I'm getting fat and old and out of shape, but because I need to do so for my job and for my future jobs and health. I'm making a point of establishing good habits during this first post-university chapter of my life: good credit, (relatively) good eating habits, reading and writing instead of absorbing television, et cetera. Aside from continuing education (which is in the works), formal physical training (vice the highly physical nature of my job) is the last step in the process of establishing the good habits that I want to follow for the rest of my life.

    It's just two days before I pack up my crap and return to Zoo Station. The last couple of weeks haven't been as comprehensive as I would have liked, but they've still been productive. And now, even though I don't have to meet M@ in Capital City for another three hours, I'd better get my Bible chapter and news headlines read and keep moving.

    Sweet, if I'd made out a list for this week, I'd have been able to cross off "writing" already today.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home