17 April 2007

What's Up, Fly?

My Tuesday off: here are the public domain elements of what's going on in the life of your friendly neighborhood Super Fly.

* * *


Apparently Circuit City and Best Buy don't actually carry shortwave radio equipment, as the Eton Corporation website says that they do. It's likely that I'll have to order more shortwave gear from Eton, or online, as Grundig doesn't seem to actually sell or market their radio line on their website. Ideally, I'd like to get a better quality radio for those long days out in the desert, and a receiver that picks up shortwave so that I can listen at home. Given that I have next to no experience working with electronics, I don't think it's the sort of situation where I could buy electroic components and teach myself how to make a radio; in fact, I'm not even sure where one would go with such a task in this day and age. The search will continue.

Sunday night at Barnes and Noble, I bought Kill Bill Volume 1 and Kill Bill Volume 2. I'm watching the former right now, for the second time; I originally saw it when I was on deployment for the first time (I don't have cable at Zoo Station, but I obviously had it in the hotel). I'd resisted seeing it, but I was impressed enough to get it.

* * *


I'm very tempted to make a couple of political points relating to yesterday's incident at Virginia Tech. However, I will elect in this case to merely offer my regrets, then show more restraint than the liberal gun lobbies will.

* * *


Barbers are a funny thing; hair seems so trivial, and it is, but I derive a certain comfort from going to a barber with whom I'm cmfortable, as my hair is an expression of myself.

I was very lucky to find the harber in Hometown, and every time I head back there I get my hair cut by him at least once.

The best haircut I ever received was a couple of blocks south of the Thames River, in London, with Friar Dave. The barber was Turkish. When I attempted to back in late July of 2004, the shop was closed for a solid month.

* * *


As solitary as I tend to be, I'm very lucky to have some great friends who really keep me going in good times and bad. Yesterday I met with two such examples: a gift of Middle Eastern food from one of my Middle Eastern friends, and a good informal bull session at the NASA Shack. Both were excellent pick-me-ups at a time when it didn't hurt to have a couple of pick-me-ups.

* * *


As of today, I can bring the number of words I learned from watching Sports Night to two: first haberdashery, and now aplomb.

* * *


Those who have known me for a long time know that I love to leave humorous messages on people's voicemails. I've recently come up with a brand new system for doing so. First, in an official voice, I say "And now, world-renowned superhero [The Fly] with a special announcement." Then, in my own voice, I say "Hi, I'm world-renowned superhero [The Fly] with a special announcement." Then I make up a special announcement. A couple of the ones I've used recently?

For the Pseudo-Cousin: "Interestingly enough, 'sheila' is Australian slang for 'woman'. And now you know."

For another friend: "The only race of humans who have employed cats in the way God intended them to be employed are the Chinese.

As I keep coming up with hilarious nonsense like this, I will let you folks in on it.

* * *


Alright, folks, that's it for me for today. More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home