14 November 2007

Among Other Things

Hey folks. Sorry, no post about China yet; in fact, it will probably have to wait for the weekend, as I took on an impromptu writing project for my parallel writing endeavour. However, I decided this evening that I have a project I want to pursue, and I'd like your help - but that will be the third item, first a couple of lighter/housekeeping notes.

* * *

While listening to the BBC's Global News podcast, I was alerted to this story. Now, you can read the whole thing for yourself, but here are the important points.

  • Spain is implementing a policy whereby Spanish couples who have children; similar to Senator Clinton's proposed policy, but I think this is mostly aimed at encouraging stagnant birth rates.
  • Two Spanish cartoonists lampooned the Spanish royal family by depicting Spain's crown prince and his wife in mid-coitus.

    So, what's the funny part of this? The quote in the cartoon read as follows:

    "Do you realise, if you get pregnant this will be the closest thing I've done to work in my whole life."

    Sorry, that just struck me as quite funny.

    * * *

    One of the radio shows that I listened to occasionally when I was in high school (very occasionally, in fact, I think I only listened to it two or three times) was a show on the better of two local FM Christian stations called "The Narrow Path" with Steve Gregg. (Of the two, one remains a syndicated adult contemporary music station, while the better of the two was bought out or something and now features only music, vice the original format that was primarily Christian talk shows.) I didn't really pay it much mind when I was younger because I was more interested in another show that featured Christian apologist Matt Slick.

    Anyway, thanks to the magic of the Interweb, I can now listen to this show online (though only while it's playing - no archived podcasts of the show like Medved does). What the website does feature are archived discussions and lessons about the Bible, Christian doctrine, and Christian history. I've put this link up on the sidebar for anyone who's interested. I'll be listening to a few of them as a sort of sample, and if I like and agree with what Steve Gregg has to say then I'll leave the link up. I've also done a bit of reorganization, moving the "Pope and Cardinals" section up a couple of pegs in order to consolidate all of the "time wasters", et cetera (Time Wasters, Worthy Reading, Hallowed Antiquity, Listening In, and Hallowed Antiquity) into one steady stream before breaking into Scottish Heritage, Tactical Gear, and Awesome T-Shirts.

    Mighty Mo, I can see you rolling your eyes.

    Two contemplative notes relating to this. First, nostalgia is really interesting to me, not only as a historian, but personally as well; this one thing, a desire to find new podcasts, has led me to look at three different websites relating to a very different time in my life (strange to say that it was literally a decade ago). It's really sort of bizarre to see the changes among the various folks (including the change that the guy who ran the radio show with Matt Slick appears to no longer be on the air, though he still holds a Bible study and puts podcasts up.)

    Second, after my briefer-than-expected stay at Zoo Station (I'd originally planned to be there for between three and five years, and in the end I was there for about fourteen months - the correct choice on my part, without a doubt, but still much different than my expectation when I arrived), it's bizarre for me to look at the list of Steve Gregg's archived stuff and think, "Wow, I'm actually going to be here long enough to listen to all of these if I so choose." Just a weird feeling.

    * * *

    And finally, a project that I'd like your help on.

    I've decided that in January (I'd really like to do it sooner, but it will be January) I'm going to post my very own State of the Union address, on the night that President Bush gives his eighth and final address to a joint session of Congress. I have some ideas of which topics I'll address - what I'd like from you is other suggestions. What topics would you like to see addressed in an appraisal of the State of the Union? Here are some of the topics I plan to cover:

  • national defense policies
  • economic policies
  • social policies
  • conservation policies*

    Are there any specific things you'd suggest to a president as far as policies? Is there anything you'd like to see covered in such a presentation? This is your chance to leave your suggestions. There are a number of folks who are regular or semi-regular readers of this blog, whose suggestions I'd love to hear.

    * * *

    Have a great day, folks, and be sure to post your inputs on the Fly's State of the Union address.

    * This is similar to environmental policies, but not as dogmatic or juvenile.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home