29 November 2007

Why We Fight

Hey folks. I had hoped to do some reading tonight, but I'm instead doing something that's just as important - watching the CNN/YouTube debate. Without going into detail on the debate itself, I'd just like to say that it's remarkable how different the technology is in this election cycle than it was even four years ago. I remember watching/listening to President Bush's inauguration in 2005 at a school computer - before wifi was the norm, before YouTube. What a drastic change.

Anyway, as I watch, I'm going to cover a few bits and pieces - nowhere near as prolific as I've been lately, but that's alright.

* * *

A couple of light stories. First, a Roman road map has been displayed for a single day in Austria, where it's one of the most treasured items at the Austrian National Library. Having studied Roman history extensively, I found this one very interesting.

A somewhat ridiculous item, but one that's caused a lot of damage, comes from here in Old Dominion. A tanker driver failed to properly close the valve on his tank, and spilled chicken grease all over several miles of highway. Talk about a failure to secure your load!

* * *

A few stories about Iraq - once again, good news from Iraq itself, and frustrating news from outside Iraq.

In this post from yesterday, I noted this article from the Agence France-Presse, which claimed that Colonel Don Farris of the 82nd Airborne Division has seen no decline in Shi'i attacks in Baghdad. How interesting, then, to see this article, which cites the same Colonel Don Farris as saying, essentially, the opposite:

Attacks are down 75 percent in recent months in a perilous stretch of neighborhoods in northeastern Baghdad, prompting a U.S. military officer to proclaim Monday that security there is "dramatically improving."

People line the streets, cars congest them, trash collectors and other city workers have returned, local leaders are holding community meetings again and "markets have come back like gangbusters," said Army Col. Don Farris, commander of 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division.

He added that the largely Sunni al Qaeda in Iraq presence has been "crushed" since the beginning of May.

And that's from CNN! Also, the BBC reports that more Iraqi refugees are returning from foreign countries like Syria (CNN, BBC). The BBC also has an article about a successful Sunni neighborhood watch program, and six thousand Sunnis have joined forces with the Americans against al Qaeda in Iraq.

Meanwhile, the Japanese are wrangling over whether or not to discontinue their aerial logistical mission in Iraq. (AFP, BBC)

* * *

Oh great, some retired general who came out as gay upon retirement showed up at the debate to say that gays should be able to serve openly. Don't we have bigger priorities than this?

* * *

A few weeks ago, a friend who's easily swayed by adeptly-presented conspiracy theories asked me to watch a "documentary" presented by the BBC. It's titled "Why We Fight", and you can watch it here if you're so inclined; or rather, the first part of it. It's not high enough quality to warrant embedding on this distinguished blog.

Today I was pleased to find an article that tore this production to shreds, and did so with a number of the same points that I made to my friend when he and I discussed it several weeks ago.

I served briefly, and without distinction, as a Navy reservist. Since I finished college, I've been compelled to move myself far from the home that I love, including to a state that I loathed (California) and a state to which I am largely indifferent (Virginia). I didn't do this because I'm an unwitting part of some massive conspiracy, or because I'm living the fat life and making it big through some sort of corrupt war profiteering. I've done things that most people would never do because I'm well-informed and well-read about the state of affairs in the world, and because I support freedom and security in America. For some partisan hack masquerading as a legitimate journalist to oversimplify and misrepresent these issues is the height of idiocy.

So, why do we fight? There are many ways to express why our brave men and women in uniform fight - two difficult but important stories are as follows:

  • The Longest Morning: The Story of Heroism, Courage, and Loss in the Face of Impossible Odds
  • Letter Shares Fate of Destroyed SEAL Team In Afghanistan
    I just came into the first item today - the story of true heroism and endurance under heinous conditions in Iraq. Long, but worth the read. The second item is a firsthand account from a Marine officer who supported Operation Red Wing, the tragic mission described in Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell.

    This is why we fight.

    * * *

    As much as I'd love to recap the debate, I need to get to bed. I'll throw together a review of the debate tomorrow evening. I'll merely note that CNN.com, which appears to be CNN's barely-funded little brother, seems to have some very attractive female correspondants. Not bad.

    Just a reminder, please offer your input on your top ten favorite posts from the last three years, and your top ten favorite links that I've posted. Enjoy your Thursday, ladies and gentlemen, and tune in tomorrow.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home