19 December 2007

Mittwoch Linkages

Due to an unusually long wait for a haircut (which is to say, going back an hour later, and then going back another half hour later), I didn't get a whole lot done last night. I wanted to post a couple of things, though.

I love Wikimapia. I really do. It may be in my top ten websites ever. I'm a total geography nerd, have been since I was nine years old and got the highest score in the class (two hundred and fifteen points out of one hundred) on our year-end geography quiz. I love finding places where I've been in Europe, places where I've been in the United States, and places where I want to go. One place I've been is the Royal Marines Museum in Eastney, Hampshire County, United Kingdom. Apparently nobody's marked it, but I'll try to remedy it this evening. You can see it here; actually, I have the crosshairs sighted in on a statue dedicated by Baroness Thatcher and based upon this picture, but you can follow the sand car park and the path to the museum itself. Also worth noting are the old battlements that border the east side of the car park. Did I mention I love Wikimapia?

In a continuing effort to entertain Mighty Mo at work, I'm following up yesterday's video of some a capella group singing "Cry Me A River" by Justin Timberlake with an a capella group from UC Berkeley singing "Bitches Ain't Shit" by Dr. Dre. They ostensibly perform it in the style of the somewhat better-known Ben Folds cover of the song.


I saw Ben Folds live in concert when he opened up for John Mayer in Las Vegas. Mayer was okay, but he looked like he'd just rolled out of bed; he also makes facial expressions when he's playing the guitar that make him appear to have just sprayed his shorts. Most disconcerting. Anyway, not only was Ben Folds hilarious with both this song and One Down (which made the disturbing prospect of sitting through John Mayer with the girl I was seeing that much easier), but discussion of his song "Brick" (which is about Ben Folds and his then-girlfriend going to a doctor to have their unborn baby killed) led to the discovery that the girl I was dating was pro-choice. Good information for a pro-lifer like yours truly to know early on.

For some reason, even though it was a completely different girlfriend, I'm compelled right now to state my continued position that the Whore should be hit by a double-decker bus, in God's mercy.

The only other item I have for today is an MSN slideshow of the top ten islands in the world. Now, I can understand not having Orkney on the list, even though it's the best island ever; and I'll give them credit for having Vancouver Island on there, because Vancouver Island is excellent. However, I must call into question the comprehensive nature of the "World's Best Awards: Top 10 Islands" list when three of the Islands are in Hawaii. Tell me honestly: are three islands in such close proximity really diverse enough to qualify for three different spots on the list? Orkney Mainland, folks. Seriously.

I'm still curious what everyone's resolutions for 2008 are. Please post them in the comments section.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home