25 June 2008

Public Radio Sucks

Hey folks! I hope everyone's having a great day. This will be a somewhat brief post, as I don't have a whole lot to cover today. First thing's first: part three of the Royal Marines in Afghanistan.



* * *

In a change of pace, NPR actually has an interesting story about a proposed CIA tunnel into Berlin for the purpose of tapping Soviet and East German communications. Very interesting. Also, I want to go on record as saying that NPR sucks. It's one of a number of government-funded boondoggles (only partially, as the case would be) that just plain suck. It's politically biased, and only a handful of Americans even listen to it despite the fact that all American taxpayers are forced to pay into its coffers. Ridiculous.

Look, for example, at the sheer volume of podcasts available from the BBC. I'm not a huge fan of the BBC, as I think their journalistic integrity is a joke and the quality of their reports is below par. Even so, the BBC has content available in multiple languages, and offers numerous different types of content. And NPR? A lot of categories, but it's all in English, and pretty much all of it is boring as hell. I might start checking out Discovery Now, a podcast about space, but beyond that I'm not impressed. It would sure be nice if we could get some folks in Congress and a man in the White House who would eliminate federal funding for NPR, because I don't think anybody should be forced to fund this kind of crap.

* * *

I was getting started on what will become either a blog post, or a full blown article, about the Air Force. Then, I wrote a long diatribe about the latest incident with Senator Obama. Both are going to make it to the blog, but the Air Force one needs to be fleshed out a bit (something I didn't have time for last night), and I need be a little bit more coherent in my approach to Senator Obama. For the time being, I'll give you a couple of links to check out if you're interested. There's a bit of a shouting match on between Senator Obama, and Dr. James Dobson. You can see the speech in question and listen to Dr. Dobson's commentary at this link, and you can read a bit more here. The gist of it is that in a speech in July of 2006, Senator Obama made a speech to a liberal Christian group in which he cited a number of items in the Bible out of context, insinuated that the Bible shouldn't be used to inform the decisions of politicians or voters, and compared Dr. Dobson to the Reverend Al Sharpton.

Folks who know me personally, or those who have been reading this blog for a long time, will understand why I'd be a bit concerned about such a speech. Rather than post the ranting diatribe that I currently have written up, I'll try to mold it into a more coherent, tangible presentation this evening.

* * *

Have you ever found a comic that described you to a tee? Well, here's one that has me, or at least, the me of about 2000 through 2005, down to a tee. Don't believe me? Ask Mighty Mo, she'll confirm it. For the record, though, I've gotten better. And just by way of another name drop, I showed that comic to Law School Goddess (yes, that Law School Goddess - whose name may need to change at some point soon, as she's graduated from law school), and she said something to the effect of "That would be us if we were married." And how!

Have a great day, folks! Tune in tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home