15 July 2008

Modern Castle Day

Okay, as Father Time and I agreed a couple of days ago - and that's saying something right there - the economy's in pretty rough shape. Oil is up; I'm convinced that the price increase is determined by a lot of factors that have little to do with supply and demand, and is thus somewhat artificial, I think (although there are a number of factors to be discussed some other time that do impact supply and demand). At any rate, what's the Fly's strategy for this uncertain time in the market? I'm going to invest. It may not be until some time in August before I'm able to plug some money into the market, but my plan is to be a good little American and invest my entire gimmicky boondoggle check, and maybe some more, into the stock market. That's right, unlike all of the dirty hippies, who spent theirs on hashish, and the rednecks, who bought crap at Wal Mart, I'm going to use my check to do what it was actually intended to do: invest back into the American economy. It was a big joke in the first place, but at least some of us need to do the right thing.

Speaking of having a lot of money, have you ever wanted to have your very own castle? In the past, I've plugged the link for Missile Bases, a company that advertises extremely expensive vacancies in retired American ICBM silos. Yesterday, as I was researching a passage in my second book, I found something I'd forgotten about: two abandoned forts in the middle of the Solent. According to the entries on Wikimapia, they're called the Horse Sand Fort, and the No Man's Land Fort. I had no clue that these were out there when I originally saw them in 2004 (during my two trips to the Royal Marines Museum - the second of which was with The Whore, may she hit by a double-decker bus, in God's mercy. At any rate, if you can put together twenty or thirty million quid, maybe you could pick up one of those forts, or a missile silo, and transform it for your own purposes. Meanwhile, continuing on a previous theme about shipping container housing, I ran across this story in my daily news perusal yesterday: pre-fabricated fallout shelters from Safecastle. I'll post more on the theme of shipping container housing later this week. For the record, I am not an alarmist who's hell bent on procuring fortified housing. Things will get better, even if they get worse first. It's just like that one song by Modern English, except without all of the melting.

Wall Street is apparently apprehensive about an Obama presidency - there's a shocker.

I also ran across a really interesting article yesterday regarding the process of scrapping the Russian nuclear submarine fleet. If you have any interest in international military topics, and I know some of my readers do, this article is well worth the five minutes.

I'm making great progress on both of my spy novels. I now have working titles for them: American Mukhabarat and Two in the Wilderness. I started writing the second in late May or so, as I'd hit a fit of inspiration and wanted to get everything down in electrons while it was all fresh. I'm probably between five and fifteen pages away from returning to working on the first novel full-time. I really like the directions in which both are going, and my small test audience seems to be enjoying the first one quite a bit. I have seventy pages on the first, and forty on the second, and I'd love to finish the first by the end calendar year 2008. I also got hit with some inspiration for a third novel last weekend, when I was hanging out with the Butt Rubber; those ideas are noted, and I may start a third manuscript at some point. I may post a couple of passages in coming weeks, after I've had a chance to read back over them.

One of the reasons why I'm so excited about the prospect of writing a couple of novels is that if I were able to sell them (and I think there's a market for what I'm writing), I'd have some expendable money to use for certain plans that I have for the next two or three years. At this point, I have to save, and save, and save, and it's taking a while to accomplish - that's where discipline comes into play. Also, I have some pretty important plans as far as personal and professional development go for the next year and a half or so, and I'm trying not to get too caught up on where I'm headed after this. At any rate, where I'm going with this is that I'm somewhat intrigued by today's Blogger Blog of Note: Write to Travel: Exploring the World of Travel Writing. Check it out; I know I'm going to!

Ready for something extremely inappropriate, but extremely funny? Law School Goddess, who, having graduated law school in May, still needs a new name, introduced me to Bo Burnham. Have a look at "3.14 Apple Pi":



More tomorrow, folks, but for now, this friendly neighborhood Super Fly needs to get his ass to work. Have a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home