19 August 2009

Wherein the Fly Challenges the Crypto King

Hey, folks! First, the news.

  • BBC: Science ponders 'zombie attack' - Canadian scientists. Studying zombies. This, ladies and gentlemen, is why Sarah Canuck is the only Canadian who can be considered human.
  • BBC: Lithuania 'Real IRA' trial opens
  • Guardian: For sale on eBay: an eternity with Marilyn Monroe - The burial plot above that occupied by the body of Marilyn Monroe is up for auction on eBay - The article's short, and worth reading if for no other reason than to demonstrate how stupid some people are.
  • Guardian: Remember Afghanistan, Comrade?; History suggests we should quit Afghanistan, but should we?
  • Times: Afghanistan's 'Mr. Bean' holds key to election - I'd love to see Hamid Karzai win, because I think it's likely that he's the best leader Afghanistan could have. However, I think it might actually be every bit as effective for someone else (who's not a Taliban candidate - and they have them) to win, because it would demonstrate that the government is accountable to the people. It's easy for COIN operations to rely on one or two people in whom much has been invested, but sometimes you have to cut that loss in order to reap the benefits of a more critical investment in the country itself.
  • AFP: Cyber crooks riding social networking wave: report
  • AFP: Security 101: US troops go back to basics with Iraqi forces
  • RIA Novosti: Russia Set To Modernize Libya Soviet Era Tanks - It would help if the Libyans maintained those tanks.
  • UPI: Hamas turns on al-Qaida
  • Fars: Envoy: Iraq Conferring with UN on Expulsion of MKO Members - The mullahs really do hate the MEK.

    I saw a "news" link on my Yahoo(!) mail last night. The title was: Analysis: Liberals tired of health care compromise (AP). The teaser read:

    AP - Frustrated liberals have a question for President Barack Obama and Democratic lawmakers: Isn't it time the other guys gave a little ground on health care? What's the point of a bipartisan bill, they ask, if we're making all the concessions?

    "Bi-partisan"? What part of it's bi-partisan? And what concessions are liberals prepared to make, or have they even offered, other than President Obama waffling on whether or not they'll withdraw the public option language from the bill? And what's this "if we're making all the concessions?" Way to maintain your objectivity, AP. Yet another reason to loathe the "scholarship" and "journalistic excellence" of the Associated Press.

    So, it's been the better part of two years since I saw the Crypto King in person, but we still chat frequently online, and exchange nefarious information with one another. I got his permission to share part of yesterday's conversation. A bit of background: I write HTML, and have two or three projects that are tied to HTML. HTML stands for "hypertext markup language", which in layman's terms, is a "code" that allows you to program/design webpages. Chops is far more tech savvy than I am, so he flips out every time I call writing HTML "coding". However, he does something that always gets on my nerves, so I decided to have a bit of fun with him...

    The Fly: Maybe I'll code tonight.
    Crypto King: morse code?
    The Fly: HTML.
    Crypto King: THAT'S NOT CODE IS MARKUP!
    The Fly: "SAMMICH", BITCH!
    Crypto King: sammich doesn't make an entire profession want to run me over with a bus.
    The Fly: Sure it does: anyone in the literary profession.
    Crypto King: and I've got enough professional kitchen experience to back me up on that
    Crypto King: that's like saying that calling it "coding" is okay with janitors, so there's no problem.
    The Fly: No it's not. Replacing the word "sandwich" with "sammich" has nothing to do with the actual preparation of a sandwich in a kitchen.
    The Fly: My criticism is of your use of the English language, not your culinary skills.
    Crypto King: well, I'll sidestep that by calling it professional jargon.
    The Fly: "Sammich" is not professional jargon.
    Crypto King: sure it is.
    The Fly: For which profession?
    Crypto King: sammich makers.
    The Fly: I get such satisfaction when I've successfully coded a webpage. When the code comes out precisely the way that I intended it, that makes me so happy - particularly if the code is correctly coded to begin with, without a lot of coding-and-error.
    Crypto King: keep going.
    Crypto King: somebody might "code" your blog out of existence...
    The Fly: LOL
    The Fly: You're so much fun to wind up.
    Crypto King: hmmm...let me see if I can find the DB where it's stored...
    The Fly: Alright, alright, alright.
    Crypto King:
    Crypto King: found it, by the way.
    Crypto King: the DB anyway.
    Crypto King: it's a mess, so I'm not digging around to try and find specific blogs.
    The Fly: I assume you have no issue with me posting this exchange tomorrow?
    Crypto King: go right ahead.
    Crypto King: this one is much safer than korean hooker related convos.

    Much safer, indeed. Have a great day, folks!
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home