23 October 2009

The Fly's Long Computer Nightmare

Wow. What a week. Okay, I'm going to forego at least most of the news for today, and start catching up on blogging this weekend.

On Saturday morning, my computer wouldn't boot up. It would turn on, but it wouldn't get past the initial screen. I made a quick run to Best Buy, and decided that another reconditioned Dell would be a better use of my money. I ordered a reconditioned laptop, and paid about $70 for the next business day shipping. My hope was that this would get it to me on Monday, but I expected it on Tuesday. When checking my balance on Tuesday, I noticed that the money that had been withdrawn on Monday was back in my account. That afternoon, after a call to Dell, it was determined that they had put my order on hold, and hadn't bothered trying to contact me at the E-mail address or phone number that I'd provided with my order, on the grounds that the phone number didn't match the one associated with my card (because it had changed - a year ago). Unbelievable. I got it sorted out, it shipped on Wednesday, and it arrived today. During my lunch break this afternoon, I went to Best Buy and picked up a SATA hard drive enclosure, hoping that the hard drive from my old laptop would be operational.

So, as I write this now, I've grabbed the files I want from both the old laptop, and my ancient desktop machine. My project for this weekend will most likely be to classify and sort through all of the files from both old computers, put them into proper categories and directories, and back them up to CD as appropriate. It sounds worse than I expect it to actually be - in fact, I expect it to be rather therapeutic, as it's something that I've been meaning and/or trying to do with the ancient HP desktop computer for months.

It's been a relatively slow news week, but there have been a few stories worth noting. The big one as far as I'm concerned was the Roman Catholic Church's invitation to accept Anglicans, no questions asked, as is. That's big news, and as an Anglican with Catholic leanings, I'm still turning it around in my head. I'll probably have more to say about it on Monday.

Many regular readers of this blog will know that my life has been very, very odd lately, as I've prepared for a dramatic change that may or may not actually happen. I don't have any news, and for a variety of reasons, I will continue to be cryptic as to what the actual situation is. The big frustration is that it's caused me to essentially put my life on hold for the past month as I wait for news. I haven't received any update on the situation for about a week and a half, so yesterday evening I sent a brief message to the party in question, seeking an update and adding some additional information about my background. Maybe I'll hear something tomorrow; maybe I'll hear something next week.

Regardless of what happens, I need a vacation. I had been putting a vacation off until the first week in October due to goings-on at work, and then the week before I was planning to take some time off, this situation arose. For reasons relating to that potential change, I've held off. It's difficult for me to foresee another week going without me receiving some sort of news about this potential upcoming event: either it will happen, and I'll start preparing for it, or it won't, and I'll take a much-needed vacation, even if it's just puttering around Van Diemen's Station and the surrounding community for a few days. With respect to the potential event: when I know something, the blog readers will know something, and they'll know something specific. One outcome or another has to come sooner or later.

As of today, it's been a solid year since I spoke with CCG. It's time to take that item off of the Fly Report, so it will be absent on Monday. Believe it or not, there are times when I miss her, and I always wonder whether she's reading the blog, as she tended to do over the last several years. At any rate, I may or may not replace that Fly Report item with something different.

I'm still reading from and enjoying Augustine, and there will be several items worth sharing - items about Augustine's relationship with his buddies and women - next week. Augustine, for better or for worse, is sounding more and more like a fraternity guy as I continue reading, and it's really entertaining.

Alright, I have things to do. Have a fantastic weekend, folks, and tune in Monday - there's a lot of catching up to do, and some of it will be very entertaining, I promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home