24 December 2004

Merry Christmas, Mister Bond

It's the 007 Days of Christmas on Spike TV. As I mentioned before, I'm not much of a Christmas person, particularly today with mom harping on everyone for no good reason. Oh, how I wish that I could spend the entire day at my flat, watching James Bond; right now it's one of the best Bond films ever, The Spy Who Loved Me with Roger Moore as 007 and Curt Jurgens as Stromburg. One of my resolutions for 2004 was to watch every Bond film; I may try to make that happen next week as I continue work on my infamous unfinished research project.

Just for the halibut, I was looking around at a Bond fan site. A couple of weeks ago I was listening to the Michael Medved Show and he mentioned a possibility for the next James Bond, some guy named Colin Salmon. As I'm the Internet's reigning expert on all things Bond (Ha, as if!), here's my commentary on the subject.

Colin Farrell - F - As if! Women may think he looks pretty, but I've seen him in a number of films (Minority Report and Hart's War) and I don't think he's got the calm, calculating, confident quality that the great Bond actors have had. He just comes off as brash, cocky, and aggressive.

Clive Owen - C - I must admit to not having seen King Arthur yet. I've only seen Clive Owen as the sniper in The Bourne Identity. He just doesn't do it for me; he doesn't have the look that I associate with James Bond. I could watch him as Arthur Pendragon and change my mind, but I doubt it.

Ioan Gruffudd - B+ - This guy's name is actually pronounced "YO-an Griffith"; I believe "Ioan" is the Welsh version of "John." He did some excellent work as Horatio Hornblower in the British films of the last six years. I think he could make a reasonably good James Bond; he's youthful, but displays a good maturity, with a graceful attitude.

Matthew MacFadyen - B+ - I don't even know if MacFadyen has been suggested for consideration yet, but I think he'd be rather good as James Bond. He's played MI-5 agent Tom Quinn for two years on the BBC drama Spooks. He doesn't have the youthful quality of Ioan Gruffudd or Jude Law, or the wit of Ewan MacGregor, but he has a great screen presence, and exudes a mature confidence. He's also proven at acting the part of a spy. If he hasn't been considered for the part, then he should be.

Ewan MacGregor - A- - I have a hard time seeing Ewan MacGregor as anything but Obi-Wan Kenobi, though when I think "Obi-Wan Kenobi" I generally think of Alec Guinness. I think Ewan MacGregor could make a very good James Bond. He's a proven action hero as Kenobi, but with a calm, cheery, confident attitude. When you compare his performance during the starfighter chase by Jango and Boba Fett in Slave I to some of the car chases James Bond has been in, there's a lot of similarity; he's also appeared poised but ruthless in fight scenes with Darth Maul, Darth Sidious, and the battle droids. His cynicism and biting wit in Black Hawk Down was also rather reminiscent of 007's classic one-liners. He'd probably be my second choice.

Jude Law - A+ - If I were picking the next James Bond, it would be Jude Law. He's proven himself to be a great actor in such films as Gattaca and Enemy at the Gates. He's witty, charming, and athletic. He has a youthfulness without having the cocky attitude of Colin Farrell, and the maturity of David MacFadyen without the years. (Not that MacFadyen's old, mind you.) I think that, of the crop of British actors out there right now, Jude Law would make the best James Bond.

Now Thunderball is playing. God bless America... And British writers and actors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home