14 January 2005

Studying A Broad... Er, Abroad

Quoth the Christian Science Monitor.

American college students are increasingly squeezing academic and cultural adventures into a few weeks between semesters. Professors plan carefully to get the most out of each day, but the flexibility of short, small-group trips means that sometimes the lessons are spontaneous, too.

Proponents cite other virtues, as well. Such programs tend to be focused and intense, prompting both academic and personal growth. In addition, trips of two to six weeks are available to a wider range of students, especially those who work, play team sports, or have commitments that make a semester or year away seem impossible. And for more timid travelers, they appeal as a safe way to experience the world beyond their borders.

"Given the increasing academic requirements that get pumped into every major ... more and more, we're going to see students study abroad for short [periods] rather than longer," says Allan Goodman, president of the Institute of International Education in New York.

The Fly's opinion? Don't do a study abroad program. I went to Europe with a buddy in March/April of 2004 for about two weeks and saw locations in England and Italy. Now, I'll admit that I wouldn't have done it if he hadn't been there doing a study abroad program, but that's beside the point. What did I do during the Summer of 2004? I got a job in England. I saved up my own spending money while I was here in the States, and once I got there I busted my hump for two months. The company I was with paid for my food and digs. I got to experience what British culture is really like, not what some elitist British academics think. It also allowed me to pay for the whole thing myself (save for some birthday money from family members), instead of relying on mum and dad to pay my way.

I think my experience would be particularly easy for a person to engineer for themself; or they could spend a year saving up (it doesn't take that much money, really) and go during a month or two during a Summer or after graduation.

I highly recommend travelling abroad, but as far as I'm concerned, study abroad programs are a waste of time and money, unless you want to be a tourist. Me? I ain't no tourist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home