27 July 2005

Put a Fork in Me

Good grief. If I'm not breaky, I'm sure achy. Here's my day.

I went to bed at about 22:30 last night, after having staged a bunch of my gear in preparation for today. Most of my gym bag was either packed or staged to be packed, my school satchel was essentially ready to go, and since I was on duty, I had two dress shirts and two pairs of trousers ready for the possible event of a call-out.

My alarm went off at 05:30, and I reset it for 06:00. I got up at 05:59 and hit the shower with the goal of being on the road at 07:55, out the door the second Saved by the Bell was over, five minutes before I was done being on call. In the end, I was out the door at about 08:02, which was good enough.

Three hours of class and two cups of tea later, I arrived at the gym. Because of my lunch appointment yesterday, and because of a slightly late start, I wasn't able to do my muscle PT, so I started off today with one hundred pushups, one hundred situps, nine machine-assisted pullups, and a couple of negative pullups (where you start at the top and struggle against your own weight until you fail; it's supposed to build the muscle pretty quickly). From there I hit the pool for twenty-eight minutes, then showered, got lunch, and came home.

The original plan was to get to work at 14:30, but between trying to do my daily chapter of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and checking out a couple of news stories, it got pushed back to the normal time, 15:00. Once at work, I busted my ass, getting two cars washed in about an hour, plus all the other stuff I had to get accomplished.

So now I'm home. My wrists ache from the pushups, pullups, and swimming. My ankle is a bit sore, maybe from the swimming, maybe from yesterday's run. My skin feels tight and dry from the extended chlorine treatment. My eyes are tired.

And do you know what? I'd do it all over again. I worked hard in class, I worked hard at the gym (particularly on the sets of situps), and I worked hard at work. I've got more things to accomplish tonight, but overall, today was an overwhelming success. In spite of the heat I feel alive and motivated. I feel like I'm taking life by the horns and making it do my bidding.

I rule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home