29 September 2005

Upturn

Even though I'm probably not as savvy about it as I should be, I try anymore to keep very close track of my money. Most of my money is kept in a checking account, and I try to stop in and print out a balance receipt every week or so, sometimes more. I do my best to plan purchases and factor them into a budget, though I could do better.

At any rate, I keep a change jar in my room. When it fills up, I take the change into the bank and get cash for it, then put it in an envelope in the change jar. Recently I've used money from the change jar for a couple of things, and not replaced it, which is pretty much unheard of; however, I kind of figure at this point that it's not so crucial for me to keep it segregated. It's my "travel fund", but if I do any travelling at this point, it's all going to be out of that account anyway. Who knows, I may just put all the travel fund money back in the envelope at some point. Since I'd violated the sanctity of the envelope, and not had enough cash movement to refill it, I decided to just deposit it in my bank account.

From an original envelope of $67.00, I'd given $20 to my dad as payment for something, and pulled an additional dollar out to supplement the money I gave as a tip for some Chinese or pizza delivery. That left $46.00, of which I deposited $40, saving $6 for the dinner I was about to get from a local burger joint. I had the teller write my overall balance on the deposit ticket: It came to $2063.80, which isn't too shabby. Then I arrived at work to find an envelope in my mail slot with my uncle's handwriting on it; payday isn't until the end of the week, yet it contained a check for $100. I checked the "memo" line and saw the word "Bonus". Bonus, indeed. So that brings my total, without the current change in the change jar, to $2163.80.

I'm not sure how much I'm going to get paid for last month. I didn't get called out quite so much during the nights as I did in August, but I worked a lot of hours, and I had a few night callouts. I'm not positive that it will match my last $1200+ paycheck, but if it did, and if, God forbid, I got as much as $1250 for the September pay period, supplemented with the bonus, supplemented with the bills in the change jar and the change currently in the change jar, it's very possible that I could break the $3500 mark. It would be temporarily; I owe my mother around $35, I have a few purchases to make, including a new pair of jeans, a couple of books, and a couple of CDs. However, unless everything comes through right at once and I end up going to England, I'm still looking at a post-purchases balance of more than $3000.

That's good. It makes my day; it may make my week.

UPDATE: The revised figure after a purchase this evening is $2153.35; stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home