29 January 2006

Talkin' About Books

One of my favorite science fiction authors (Robert J. Sawyer) has a blog (click the link, genius), and he put this survey up; so I'm doing it as well.

Total number of books I've owned:

I'm going to guess somewhere around eight hundred. I think I have like, five or six hundred now, but I don't remember for sure what the final tally was when I counted and catalogued them last Summer. That number wouldn't take into account most of the books I had as a kid, or the few books that I've sold over the years.

The last book I bought:

Wow... The last one I can remember buying was a copy of Diamonds Are Forever by Ian Fleming, though I may have bought something since then.

The last book I read:

I read (and thoroughly enjoyed) Shadow War by Richard Miniter. It's a book about how the Bush Administration is winning the War on Terror, even though the media's trying to paint a different picture.

Five books that mean a lot to me:

  • Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein - I read it because it was tied in to the entertaining (but attrocious) movie; it's really a pretty fine piece of political philosophy.
  • The Terminal Experiment by Robert J. Sawyer - This is my favorite novel of all time. Not only is it an outstanding story, it's a pithy exploration of the human condition.
  • The Agricola and the Germania by Gaius Cornelius Tacitus - My first taste of ancient literature, this book consists of an extended eulogy of Tacitus' father-in-law and an ethnography of the Germanic tribes.
  • How the Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill - This book chronicles the efforts of Irish monks during the middle ages, whose scholarship, tenacity, and national character helped to ensure the retention of many important documents, including the Bible, which might have been lost otherwise.
  • The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis - A case for faith, made in a backward sort of way through letters from a middle manager devil to his trainee nephew.

    The books in my collection where the physical object means a lot to me:

  • The Naval Officer's Guide - Mudflap's dad gave me a copy of this for Christmas of 1999 during the brief period of time in which she and I were dating, and it's one of the best gifts I've ever received.
  • I have a very old embalming textbook/manual that belonged to my great-great grandfather.

    Who do I "tag" with this one? How about the following folks:

  • Molicious
  • Father Time
  • Michelle
  • Manda, who still hasn't called me a month later
  • Friar Dave, to give him something else to post about

    Do it. Do it.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home