31 March 2006

Against the Wind

Outside
Somebody's outside
Somebody's knocking at the door
There's a black car parked
At the side of the road
Don't go to the door
Don't go to the door
- Pontifex Maximus, "Tomorrow"

Today is Mrs. Augustus' memorial service. It's at 15:00, followed by a reception. I'll be able to stick around for the entire service, but I'll have to bug out of the reception early in order to get to the office for my 17:00 shift. It's fairly infrequent that I go to a funeral as an attendant, vice an employee. Mrs. Augustus had become like a grandmother to me; in fact, I was probably closer to her than I am with my actual grandmothers. My relationship with her was probably similar to the relationship that I have with the current Matriarch. She's already been laid to rest; she was laid to rest on Tuesday, which would have been their thirty-sixth wedding anniversary. I'm not sure how I'm going to react. I've had notice for several months that she wasn't going to make it, so that's already set in; I doubt there will be tears, but I suppose it's a possibility.

Up every morning just to keep a job
I gotta fight my way through the hustling mob.
Sounds of the city pounding in my brain,
While another day goes down the drain.
- The Vogues, "Five O'Clock World"

As my first real task of today, I ironed and hung up all of my formal clothes. I rehung my ties o their hanger, ironed two dress shirts and a pair of trousers, and reorganized my closet. I'll probably be wearing my black suit, long-sleeved grey dress shirt, and either my Guinness necktie, or my standard black, grey, and white necktie to the funeral, and subsequently to work. I have a lot of neckties that I don't really get a chance to wear; in fact, some of them could probably be tossed, though I'm not sure that I'll do that since I'll probably eventually have a job that either necessitates or allows the wearing of neckties. I personally think that neckties are the most ridiculous piece of clothing ever conceived, but if I'm going to have to wear one, I may as well have a small selection to work with. As it stands, I have about three that I ever get to wear, four if you count the gold one.

Just finish cleanin' up your room
Let's see that dust fly with that broom
Get all that garbage out of sight
Or you don't go out Friday night
Yakety yak (don't talk back)
- The Coasters, "Yakety Yak"

Today's payday. All of those long, non-blogging days that I put in last month? Today I see the fruits of my labor... Briefly, before I start paying bills, and then leave the rest be. My one prospect for a Friday night social life, some sort of social engagement with Mormon and Mrs. Buddha, has thus far resulted in little more than an unreturned telephone call. There's a high likelihood that my Friday night will end in a movie, a Guinness, and a few chapters of Black Hawk Down. Tomorrow I'll work my six hours at the surplus store, and then... Who knows? Oh, and I think I'm going to put some rounds down-range on Monday or Tuesday morning.

And in the daylight
A blackbird makes a violent sight
And when she is done
She sleeps beside the one
- Pontifex Maximus, "An Cat Dubh"

I've shifted a few of my many, many, many books around in the last few days. One of my nine Xerox paper boxes full of books is now dedicated in part to my books and materials dedicated to the study of foreign languages.

  • Ahlen wa Sahlen by Mahdi Alosh (Book and CDs) (Arabic)
  • Survival Guide to Iraqi Arabic by the Defense Language Institute (book and CD)
  • Guten Tag - First Year German (Book and CD-ROM)
  • Guten Tag - Second Year German (Book and CD-ROM)
  • Langenscheidt Pocket German Dictionary
  • Wheelock's Latin
  • Langenscheidt's Pocket Latin Dictionary
  • Latin Vocabulary Cards: Academic Study Card Set
  • Latin Cheat Sheet Card

    All of that knowledge, and barely a fraction of it in my brain. Oh well.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home