17 April 2006

The Origin of Easter

As many of you know, I make every effort to be annoyingly orthodox in the expression and celebration of my faith. Part of that annoying orthodoxy involves being careful about which religious holidays I celebrate, and how. Most of you have read my thoughts about Christmas, which is a retrofit of the old Pagan celebration of the Winter Solstice.

"Easter" at least occurs on the day (well, approximately) that Jesus' resurrection occurred. The Bible discusses how the Last Supper took place on the night of the Passover, and Christ's Passion occurred on the following day. The Resurrection occurred two days later. However, the very name "Easter", and many of the traditions that are associated with it (eggs, rabbits) are actually retrofits of a Pagan fertility festival. For more information, read here. It's a little bit more hellfire and brimstone than I tend to endorse (lots of talk about deceptions by Satan, for example), but as far as I can tell, the information about eggs, rabbits, and Semiramis is factual.

Me? I tend to celebrate by reading through the passages of the Bible that describe the Passover (Exodus) and the last few days of Jesus' life and ministry (the Gospels). I generally call it "Resurrection Day" instead of "Easter". Unlike Christmas, which has no religious significance to me whatsoever, the Resurrection is worth celebrating... Just like Saint Patrick's Day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home