19 April 2006

Quickly Moving Fly

Here's a bit of an update on me.

I move Friday. I'm convoying to Barstow with my dad, in my new car (a 2006 Chevy TrailBlazer) and his Yukon XL/Suburban/whatever you want to call it. We'll be packing both vehicles as full as we can reasonably get them; I'll primarily be carrying boxes and bags, and Dad will be carrying mostly furniture.

Over the last several years, I've been collecting discarded Xerox paper boxes from the university and from the office. I have sixteen of them. As of Saturday, nine of them were completely full of books, in addition to the books on my bookcase. I worked on shifting books from place to place on Sunday and tonight, and now five boxes are full of books that are staying for now, two are full of books that are going, four are empty, one has miscellaneous trinkets and personal effects in it, one has files and papers in it, one has three-ring notebooks, one is full of decorations, and one has compact discs and videocassettes in it. If that doesn't add up to sixteen, then I don't care.

Several bags are fully packed, mostly bags with military gear in them; I got the final Under Armour shirt today, so all of my uniform skivvies are packed. I've done laundry, and that will be finally and unequivocally sorted tomorrow, and most of it packed up, save for what I'll be wearing the next couple of days and on the two day road trip.

My mother was gracious enough to take me shopping for various household items yesterday; being generous and paying money are two things that don't come naturally to my mother, so the seriousness of this offer wasn't lost on me. I figured that we could go and get a few things, and it would make her feel better, even if I didn't really technically need that much. Not including the drinking glasses she bought for me today, we got about $200 worth of stuff, including a tea kettle, a Brita water filtration pitcher, a pot and lid (I think I'll only need one), a Coleman air bed, and flatware. I also have a number of items that I received for Christmas from my parents and my grandmother, including a generic knockoff of a George Foreman grill, a can opener and knife sharpener, a cutting board, some spatulas, et cetera. I'll also have a set of knives, if I can find it, a set of dishes, a few assorted mugs, and a toaster. I'm ready to live a somewhat spartan existence, but it looks as if I'll be at least moderately well equipped.

With respect to furniture, I'll have very little. I have that Coleman air bed I mentioned, plus my papasan chair and ottoman from Pier 1 (purchased in late 2002 if I remember correctly), two CD/DVD/VHS racks (that will probably wind up holding books as well) that were purchased at the music store I worked at before I worked there (a long, long, long time ago), a trunk that I bought at a garage sale last year, a standing lamp, a little table, and maybe there's some more.

I also packed an old waist pack with knives and flashlights; when looking for my sheathed boot knife, I came across more decorations. I found the "PACE" (Italian for "PEACE") flag that I bought in Italy (after seeing them waving all over the place when I was there during the initial days of Operation Iraqi Freedom), a Wyoming state flag, and a Jolly Roger (crossed cutlasses version). I've also got what F3 refers to as "sleeping" animal hides from a "sleeping" elk, a "sleeping" deer, and a "sleeping" beaver; and my decorative gladius, purchased in the same open air street market in Florence, Italy as the "PACE" flag. I don't yet know what's going to be displayed, or how.

It's been pointed out by a regular skimmer of TSTF that most of my posts lately have had a theological bent. If you've been bored with the same old thing, I apologize; I haven't been checking the news much since I got the job offer two and a half weeks ago, so most of what I've come up with to post have been philosophical in nature. When I'm settled, I'll try to resume posting news and something more varied than just rants about philosophy and religion.

Special thanks to the always outrageous Lycan Thrope, who gave me a special shout out on his blog last week. Also, if your name is K and you're reading this, I'm stoked that you've become a regular reader of Thus Saith the Fly.

Also, let this serve as a reminder: while I'm gone, the roast of The Fly will commence, lead by Father Time. If you're a regular commentator and have a Blogger account, you're invited to join in the fun and festivities. I'll be adding participants as members on Thursday night before I take my computer apart, and removing them whenever I get myself at least partially set up in my new digs.

I need to send an E-Mail, and then go to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home