18 May 2006

Various Items

A few things, just for the sake of a little drosophilic discussion.

First off, I keep seeing blurbs online about the new movie, "The Da Vinci Code". As most folks probably know, it was based on the bestselling novel by Dan Brown. Apparently there are people who missed that memo... It's a friggin' novel. Do you know what that means? It's fiction. It's not real There's no evidence whatsoever to indicate that Christ had children with Mary Magdalene; and the "female" figure in da Vinci's "The Last Supper" is well known to be Christ's younger brother, John, who was a youth at the time of the Last Supper. I'm not much on fiction books that make any claim to be historical, particularly when they're hyped up like this book/film has been. Bottom line? I wasn't compelled to read the book, and I'm not compelled to see the film.

I finished "The Sparrow" by Mary Doria Russell early this afternoon, after two days of marathon 150+ page reads. I found it to be disturbing in some ways, but very compelling, and very well bundled together; the developments were plausible, the storyline was believable, and I'm glad that I finally sat down and read it. It's been on my infamous reading list since 2001, and I've kept putting it off and putting it off. It was worth the read, and I'd like to thank occasional commentator "Lela" for recommending it all those years ago.

I'm enjoying my days off from work, though I'll be happy to get back when the time comes. I have some paperwork that I have to get finished up, but I'll be on base for my tour of the Goldstone facility on Friday anyway, so it'll be easy to drop in and get that taken care of once the tour is over. Tomorrow (Thursday) I'll get my driver's license changed and mail some money back to my home bank, as my bank doesn't have any branches down here; I should also get my new mobile tomorrow. I've set up direct deposit, so by the time my second paycheck arrives next week, it'll go straight to the bank, and I can then pay various bills. I'll get my car serviced for the first time on Friday afternoon. That just leaves taking care of computer issues, which I may work on tomorrow evening.

The only other major news I have is that I ordered a pair of khaki Crye Precision Field Pants last night... And a Dirka-Dirkastani flag patch. For work... Yeah, that's the ticket.

That's the story, and I'm sticking to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home