12 August 2006

Idealistic College Kids

MSN is running a College Journal article today about how young people graduating from college are apparently "more idealistic". It doesn't really have very many statistics to back it up, but I can say that, as a recent college grad myself, I have some experience with this.

I've known a lot of folks who have graduated from college and gone on to do things like this. Mostly, I've seen my buddies go and join the military, which is honestly the best way I know of to do good for the country and the world. I do not see the logic in spending thousands of dollars, usually of other people's money, on an education and then going and mooching some more.

I know this girl (dated her a couple of times, once before she went off the deep end, once after) named Kaila. Now, my university, as liberal as I thought it was, is the more conservative of the two major state universities; she went to the other. Within six weeks of arriving, she'd pierced her nose and declared a Poli Sci major. She's done a study abroad program in South Africa where she's learned all about "white privilege" (I had to hear about such bullshit in my Poli Sci and Ethnic Studies classes, it's total nonsense) and the politics of oppression and other such ridiculousness. When I asked her a few days ago where her life is going to take her after she graduates, she told me that she's looking at some company that will have her "work" (she didn't really explain that one) in the U.S. for a few months, then she'll get an all access visa in her passport and work in Europe for a few months. Unfortunately, Kaila is typical of young people who are graduating from major universities and colleges in the United States with dubious academic credentials, then mooching further by going to "find themselves" (as if four years of unsupervised mischief in college wasn't enough).

What happened to college being the place where motivated, intelligent people went? What happened to people getting jobs not because they've been to college, but because they were motivated and intelligent enough to get into college in the first place? I may not have a highly marketable major (History), but I offset that by taking a heavy course load in something else (Naval Science) and taking course in both my major field and other departments that pertained directly to national security and military policy, since I knew I was going in that direction in one way or another. Getting a degree in Sociology or English literature and then doing volunteer work on Uncle Sam's dime isn't exactly my idea of an education well spent.

And, to prove my point, I present this article, from America's finest news source.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home