08 August 2006

Continued Media Impropriety

I was checking political cartoons this morning, as I do every few days, and I cam across this cartoon. Apparently a "photojournalist" named Adnan Hajj submitted poorly doctored photos to Reuters, who then published them. The main photograph in question is of smoke rising from allegedly bombed out buildings in Beirut. I'm no expert in photo editing, but the picture is such an obvious joke as to be undeniably faked.

There's also some question about some other photos by Hajj, these of the Qana "massacre". Apparently the same guys and the same bodies have time stamps on them spanning about four hours, leading one to question whether the death toll at Qana was really as high as the Lebanese claimed, or whether perhaps these "journalists" who reported on the incident weren't quite as objective or competent as we'd all like to believe.

Here are some major blogs that have pretty good information on the subject, including some outstanding photo analyses.

  • The Jawa Report
  • Little Green Footballs
  • The Shape of Days

    Those are just the ones I looked at myself. They all have links to even more pages on the subject.

    I've worked for two newspapers, and I've been analyzing media for a couple of years now at TSTF, and this is one of the worst fakeries I've ever seen. Conservatives already know that we have an uphill battle when it comes to most of the mainstream media. This should serve as further proof to anyone with an open mind that there are issues of competence and integrity inherent in the media. As much as we'd like to believe that we can trust the stories that we read, journalists have their own axes to grind, and they add spin to what they write. The challenge involves identifying that bias and being able to read through it or, in cases like this, ignore the information altogether.

    Be aware, folks. Be aware.

    Also, on a side note, I've received an E-Mail from the Blogger Team. They have officially certified TSTF as "not a spam blog", so I'm good to go. That means I can post Flickr photos again!
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home