03 September 2006

Looking Out for Number One

When you work three straight weeks, then have a week off and work on a project that winds up failing miserably, what do you do? You guessed it: you head to the book sellers! I set out for the nearest trace of civilization, a Barnes and Noble that's about forty minutes from Zoo Station. I intended to get:

  • A Bloody Business: American War Zone Contractors in Iraq by Gerry Schumacher
  • From Russia with Love by Ian Fleming
  • Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab

    Once I was actually there, I thought better of the third selection; I've already read it, but left my copy behind at a book shop in England. I decided that if I was going to get it, I may as well get it for cheaper on Amazon since I wasn't planning on reading it again any time soon. So, what I actually got was:

  • A Bloody Business: American War Zone Contractors in Iraq by Gerry Schumacher
  • From Russia with Love by Ian Fleming
  • The Iliad by Homer, narrated by George Guidell

    I figure that I spend enough time in my car, headed to and from work, that I may as well start getting something out of it. I'll try one audio book, and if it goes well, I'll try a second. I have to say, the pickings were fairly slim; I finally found a section with some decent stuff, including C.S. Lewis, Mary Shelley, Homer, and Shakespeare. The booby prize goes to an audio book of Sun Tzu's The Art of War, narrated by Joe Mantegna. Yes, you read that right.

    Well, I'd best get to reading. More later.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home