04 November 2006

Waves of Regret and Waves of Joy

It's Friday night, and this is the first thing I've written all week. Work has kept me busy throughout the day, and at night I've been consumed with such tasks as cleaning the kitchen, cooking, and then cleaning the kitchen again. I've reorganized my CDs and DVDs, and I'd love to reorganize my books but the time just isn't there. I really, truly feel as if there aren't enough hours in the day, and I'm a little bit perplexed since that isn't supposed to be how I feel quite yet.

I've been back at Zoo Station for a couple of weeks now, and they've been tolerable, but stressful. Overall, I'd say that my life is settling back into a post-deployment routine, which is good. I think I've mentioned already that I'm looking forward to Winter in the desert; the days lately have been nearly therapeutic, and they'll continue to cool down in the coming weeks. It's like a promise - as the floods on the Nile once promised a fine crop, the outrageous heat of the Summer seems to have borne itself out in the promise of Winter.

I got an order yesterday from Crye Precision, and it was a bit of a disappointment. I've been very satisfied with my field pants and my range vest, so I ordered a field shirt, and I've all but decided to return it. The upside was the "Major League Infidel" T-shirt that I bought (and wore to work today). I also got three Dirka-Dirkastan patches - one for Rampage, one for one of my soldier buddies, and another for when I find someone else who I want to give one to.

Have you ever been so tired and relaxed at the same time that you were unable to motivate yourself to get a Guinness from the refrigerator? That's an experience that I'm having right now, and I'm a little bit frustrated by it. I'll probably be up for it in a few minutes, but that shows you how hard I've been working lately, both at work and at the flat. On the one hand, it's a frustration, causing me waves of regret for seemingly missing out on my youth. On the other hand, it's causing me waves of joy, because I'm turning into who I want to be: a hard worker who's willing to sacrifice material comforts for something higher than himself

Cheesy? Of course, but you know me.

I have a joke that I'd love to add to this post, but it's a little bit off color, and I'm not really in the mood to put it on here. Ironic, eh? So for now, it's back to watching Zoo TV Live from Sydney and mentally preparing for a long week ahead. Zoo TV and Guinness: a little piece of Ireland, right in the middle of the Mojave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home