23 February 2007

Arbeit Macht Freitag

For the record, the title of this post isn't new, and it's one of my favorite things to title a Friday blog post. Here are a few things worth writing about.

* * *


For reasons that will become clear in an upcoming post, today I purchased a copy of Young Frankenstein, starring Gene Wilder, Marty Feldman, the late Peter Boyle, and featuring the gorgeous Teri Garr and the lovely and hilarious Madeline Kahn.

I know I'm not the first person to say this, but I'm overcome by just how good this film was. It was released in 1974, and there was no swearing, no nudity, and I was still finding myself laughing out loud. Truly impressive.

* * *


Some of you know that I was inspired by Father Time a few months ago to buy a Mini World 100 shortwave radio by Grundig. In the past I've noted different stations I've been able to pick up from around the world, and a couple of days ago I was able to tune in Radio New Zealand International. Most of it was boring political news about Papua New Guinea and Fiji, but I'm always excited to have found a new station.

* * *


I don't do much in the way of American political news anymore; I soured on it during/after the 2004 election, and I've tried to focus on defense and security news in recent months. Even so, I've found the recent feud between Senators Clinton and Obama to be highly entertaining.

It's obvious that Senator Clinton is trying to be the first female president, just like it was obvious when she ran for the Senate in 2000. Honestly, I've found her ambiguous statements, her "exploratory committee", and all of her denials and such over the last few years to be both patronizing, and agonizingly transparent. I don't believe that she's electable in any way shape or form, and if Democrats nominate her (which I don't believe they will), I think it will be the Republicans' race to lose. She has a lot of political baggage to worry about, both her own and former President Clinton's; and although those on the extreme left support her, the average American sees her in a rather poor light. Honestly, I'll be surprised if she gets the nomination from the Democrats; I think that the Democratic leadership has very little confidence in her ability to win, and as a result many of them are supporting the media darling that is Barack Obama.

The same goes for Senator Barack Obama, though I think he has a bit more of a chance than Senator Clinton. A lot of people are making Obama's race an issue, and I truly believe that his race is a negligible factor. I give him kudos for having gotten the better of Senator Clinton in the recent public relations wrestling match between the two, and I think that it will be fascinating to watch him over the next couple of years. Why don't I think that he's electable? Simple: he has no experience. By the time the 2008 election rolls around, Senator Obama will have a single term as a senator, and no real foreign policy experience. Today I read a political discussion that said that Barack Obama is Hillary Clinton's Ralph Nader/Ross Perot, and I think that this is rather likely.

Other possible Democratic candidates include former Senator John Edwards, who I believe has announced his intention to run, though I don't think he has any chance; and rumors are floating around about former-Vice President Gore announcing his candidacy, who I also don't believe has the ability to win. So far John Edwards has had a successful career as one of the very ambulance-chasing medical liability attorneys who have caused health care costs in this country to skyrocket; he's followed that with what was essentially one failed term in the Senate, a failed presidential run, and then a failed vice presidential run. As for Vice President Gore, I think that his global warming obsession is more of a liability than a strength as far as major election issues go. He's not especially charismatic, even among Democrats, and Republicans (and many moderates, for that matter) see him as a bit of a lunatic. I believe I read a while ago that Senator Kerry had ruled out a presidential run in 2008, and I think that's the best for all concerned. It was Vice President Gore's race to lose in 2000, and he lost it (even if it was due to a legal technicality), and it was Senator Kerry's race to lose in 2004, and he lost it so completely (in spite of what many pundits believed to be an overwhelming advantage over a very controversial incumbent president) that I don't see the Democratic National Committee ever giving him the support he'd need to mount another attempt at the Oval Office.

If the Democratic National Committee knew what it was doing, it would back Senator Lieberman. Lieberman is the kind of Democrat even I could vote for, and though I'm not with him on every issue, he's the kind of centrist Democrat who would garner votes from both the left and the middle-leaning right. How do I know this? Because he won back his seat in the Senate as an independent after the Democrat party tried to cut him off over his continued support for the Iraq War.

So, I've commented in a nutshell on the Democrats. What about the Republicans?

One prominent and thoroughly-discussed Republican candidate is former New York Mayor Rudolph Guiliani. Many hardcore conservatives call Giuliani a RINO ("Republican In Name Only") because he's a moderate on many social issues. Though some accuse him of having no foreign policy experience, I believe that his handling of attempted Saudi contributions to New York after 9/11 demonstrate that his administration over the city that has succeeded Rome as one of several major seats of Western Civilization constitutes plenty of foreign policy experience; and that's only one of several examples. Giuliani had cleaned up the cess pool that used to be New York City before 9/11. Giuliani isn't my preferred candidate, but I honestly think that he has more electability than Senators Clinton and Obama combined.

Another possible (and likely) candidate is Senator John McCain. A lot of Republicans can't stand him due to his stance on such issues as campaign finance reform (I'm not a supporter of that particular "reform"), I think that he'd be electable if he could get the nomination. His foreign policy experience and positions are spot on, most of his domestic policies are strong, he's fought and suffered for his country (unlike Senator Kerry, whose war experiences and defense voting record proved to be his ultimate liability in 2004), and his support for American military forces is directed at helping them win, as opposed to many on both sides of the aisle who are increasingly supporting moves that would essentially constitute a form of "honorable" retreat.

I'll admit that I know almost nothing about Mitt Romney, the one-term governor of Massachusetts. He's a member of the LDS Church, which is a liability in my eyes; however, if a Mormon Republican can get elected in the Massachusetts, one of the most liberal states in the Union, then he might have the ability to get elected to national office under the right circumstances.

The issue with the Republican party at this point in time is the same issue with the Democratic party. Republicans who vote in primaries tend to be the conservative base, and conservative Republicans vote for the candidate who they see as the most conservative. In American politics, primaries tend to be decided by those on the far right and the far left, respectively, while national elections tend to be heavily influenced by moderates. The 2008 election is going to require strategic voting by the base of whichever party wins. If Republicans want to retain control of the Executive Branch in 2008, they must put forward a moderate candidate, preferably one with some degree of distance from the increasingly unpopular President Bush. That means nominating a Giuliani (who, for the record, would have a particularly strong position of Senator Clinton attempted to criticize his personal life) or a McCain. If Democrats want to win in '08, their best bet is to distance themselves from Senator Clinton and keep a careful eye on Senator Obama... And probably send Senator Edwards and Vice President Gore into hiding.

* * *


Well, I have some things to attend to around Zoo Station. More stuff soon, including a news update when I have an opportunity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home