01 February 2007

The Fly and David Gale

I recently noted that I had ordered The Life of David Gale, after repeated encouragement from an anonymous individual who will remain anonymous. It arrived on Tuesday, and I watched it Wednesday morning.

I think I've probably noted it on here before, but just for the sake of repetition: I am an ardent supporter of the death penalty, and that position comes from philosophical, religious, and practical consideration. I can understand and sympathize with those who oppose capital punishment, but I continually come to the conclusion that the reasons to favor it are stronger than the reasons to oppose it.

The Life of David Gale is an anti-capital punishment film. The basis of the movie is that the title character, played by Kevin Spacey, is a death penalty abolitionist who is falsely implicated in the brutal rape and murder of one of his colleagues. The film follows two tracks: Gale's life, and the investigations of journalist Bitsey Bloom (Kate Winslet) prior to Gale's execution. A long and intricate plotline reveals that Gale is innocent of the crime for which he has been convicted, and in the end he is executed unjustly by the state of Texas just prior to Bloom's revelation of his innocence.

For the sake of clarity, I'm going to divide my thoughts into two categories: the film's case against the death penalty, and the plot of the movie itself.

In a rare case of agreement between myself and Roger Ebert, I agree with his view that this film was a colossally weak argument against capital punishment. The goal of the film is so obvious as to banish any hope of innuendo or nuance. To believe that a person would frame a vulnerable friend in an elaborate conspiracy aimed at forcing a moratorium on capital punishment is preposterous. The film also gives essentially no credit to the American justice system, attempts to influence policy on the basis of emotional appeals, ad makes erroneous statements (for example, that violent crime rates are lower in states where capital punishment doesn't exist). As far as I'm concerned, Legally Blonde was a better film about the American justice system than this one, and it had Reese Witherspoon in it.

As for the film itself, I found it very entertaining. As I mentioned, the plot was intricate and engaging. Kevin Spacey is a tough one for me, since he's a lot like George Clooney: a great actor on screen, and a colossal lunatic in real life. His performance in this film is outstanding. He plays a broken and miserable man, and his passion for his chosen cause is unmistakable. In fact, the entire acting cast is outstanding. Despite the failings of the film's intended agenda, and the baggage and credibility issues they bring, the rest of the film is well-performed and the story is fascinating.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is my take on The Life of David Gale. And, for the record, after seeing Kevin Spacey's life evaporate in front of your eyes in this film, I highly recommend watching his redemption and triumph in American Beauty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home