12 February 2007

Lacking Profundity

Today is the final day of a five day holiday. Here are a few things worth noting.

My trip to Laughlin was fascinating. I lost a little bit of money playing Blackjack, but I had fun doing it and felt like I learned a little bit; and at one point, I was up about seventy-five dollars, so I must have been doing something right. Apparently Laughlin is inhabited almost entirely by geriatrics during the week. The most important point is that it was a good (and relatively inexpensive) opportunity to get away from Zoo Station, if only for a couple of days. Oh, and for the record, the Mojave Desert is a beautiful area to drive through, particularly if you're impressed by the sheer unforgiving power of nature.

A few weeks ago, when doing a little bit of research on shortwave radio stations, I came across the website for Radio Tunis. On a hunch, I looked up "Radio Tripoli" last night, and found the website for the Libyan Jamahiriya Broadcasting Corporation, which is the Libyan state-run radio station. The website is fascinating. It's not exclusively good; for example, the front page story about "The Bulgarian Monsters" is particularly disturbing. (A more balanced review of the situation can be read here.) However, this controversial issue aside, there are some fun things on the LJBC website, like traditional Libyan recipes, a report on camel races in Balochistan, and an online brochure for Leptis Magna. It's not exactly the BBC website, but for a casual student of Middle Eastern and Maghreb culture like myself, it's pretty fascinating. I'm going to be honest, I might actually try to prepare some of the Libyan recipes at some point - probably before I even attempt Rachael Ray's shepherd's pie! At any rate, I look forward to having a better computer so that I can listen to online radio and see more online video.

I'm still trying to make progress in Rainbow Six, although my schedule has prevented much of that over the last few weeks. I knocked out a couple of chapters while I was in Laughlin, but I'm still only about halfway through the book. I may try to finish reading The Civil War by Julius Caesar, a book that I didn't quite make it through last summer.

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Echo Pack, which should be here by the end of the week. I also received my desert tiger stripe trousers on Friday, and I'm looking forward to trying them out at work in the near future.

Okay, that's about as profound as I'm going to get on a Sunday evening. I'll try to throw in some news coverage by Tuesday night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home