14 June 2007

Prank Texting (and Other News)

I put in several hours on the BMD article last night (in between several interruptions), and I think I've finished the lion's share of it. Hopefully it will be ready to post tonight or early tomorrow. As usual, I've run into some fairly important information, much of it from the last two weeks, so the timing seems apt.

In the mean time, here are a few stories and personal items, starting with the dialogue of some prank texting I did the other day with my friends while I was eating alone.

* * *


The Fly: Be careful! Doctor Pepper is not a real doctor!
Shelly: You're kidding. He just gave me a breast exam!
The Fly: Didn't take long, eh!?
Shelly: Huh?
The Fly: There's not much for him to have examined.
Shelly: Hey watch it mister!
The Fly: Don't worry, I still love them!
Shelly: Gee thanks

* * *


In the Gaza Strip, Hamas has attacked and overrun the security offices of the rival Fatah organization, and President Mahmoud Abbas has sacked the Hamas government and declared a state of emergency. Further comment from your intrepid blogger would probably be counterproductive; the take-away is that the "Palestinian" mess just got messier.

* * *


The Fly: Don't whiz on the electric fence! (Reference)
StretchAfshtrong: Who is this?
The Fly: Fly. From [Generic Northwestern State].
StretchAfshtrong: Fly! Damn... I forgot to save your number.

* * *


There are a couple of follow-up items from my most recent news post.

First, American/NATO officials have provided specific evidence of Iran supplying weapons to the Taliban, almost certainly with the approval of Ayatollah Khameini and President Ahmedinejad. (AP, BBC) I made the prediction that this activity was being sanctioned by the government of Iran, and it appears that my educated guess was correct. The Afghan defense minister is denying Iranian involvement in the situation, making the political situation all the more precarious. At any rate, given Iranian support of terrorist groups in both Iraq and Afghanistan, the situation mirrors the covert support given to North Korea and North Vietnam by neighboring China and the Soviet Union during the Cold War.

Also, following up on the Turkish military build-up along their border with Iraq, the PKK (Global Security, Wiki) has pledged to use violence only in self defense. Pledges from similar groups such as ETA (BBC, Wiki, Global Security) have often been short-lived; given the PKK's relative strength and their unfulfilled goals, it's likely that attacks will resume once the Turkish government has calmed a bit.

* * *


The Fly: If I had a million dollars, I'd buy you an exotic pet. Like a llama, or an emu! (Reference)
Chazza: I'd actually be okay with just a dog. You can't really cuddle up to an emu. But thanks.
The Fly: No problem!

* * *


I've noted in several recent posts that significant progress is being made in Iraq, even if the media is under-reporting it. For example, the recent fighting between the Lebanese Army and al Qaeda-linked terrorists led one correspondent to describe and discuss al Qaeda "franchises", as if they're a new thing. While this isn't directly linked to Iraq, the implication is that the Iraq War represents a losing campaign in the fight against al Qaeda.

In reality, a decisive victory may not be within plain sight, but even General Petraeus says that astonishing things are happening in Iraq. Because al Qaeda's agenda consists of nothing but random and pointless violence, with no real plans beyond inciting more violence, American and Iraqi forces have begun allying with former al Qaeda allies in a combined effort to turn Iraqis against al Qaeda. Another article describes some recent successes of this operation.

I'm not willing to go out on a limb and claim that the back of the insurgency is on the verge of being broken; however, the fight is far from over, and even seemingly minor developments such as these can have far-reaching effects in counter-insurgency fights.

* * *


I've been following Michael Yon's recent series titled "Death or Glory". It's about the Queen's Royal Lancers, a Formation Reconnaissance Cavalry Regiment in the British Army. I'm an admitted British military junkie, I've collected numerous pieces of British kit (and use a few at work), I've devoured books like Bravo Two Zero and An Unorthodox Soldier, and I've made a point of visiting such sites as the Royal Marines Museum, the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers Museum, and HMS Belfast (the latter two with Friar Dave).

Needless to say, I've been absolutely devouring Yon's articles. You can read parts I, II, and III of IV. Yon's writing paints a great picture of these brave and professional British men and women, and the photos are outstanding. The concluding article is forthcoming.

* * *


I should have the BMD article up within twenty-four hours. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home