16 July 2007

Halfway Through

Hey folks! It's your most excellent host, The Fly, and I'm here at the home of Mighty Mo and Longhorn Mike with a trip update.

On Saturday, which was my actual day of departure (packing was more of a pain in the ass than I had anticipated), I drove through both Arizona and New Mexico, finally making it to Amarillo, Texas at about 23:00. It was quickly apparent that the entire city was booked solid: Jehovah's Witnesses had snagged every available room. I had two options at that point: sleep in my car, or keep driving. Since I wasn't that tired yet, I kept going and finally found the last vacancy, a smoking room, at the Travelodge in Memphis, Texas. The next day (yesterday, Sunday, 15th July) I drove the four and a half remaining hours to get to Mike and Mo's place in a suburb of Dallas.

Once I was in Dallas, we left immediately for the Dallas Museum of Art, where they were having an exhibit on an excavated villa that was destroyed by Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD. The highlight for me was when I, much to the chagrin of Mo, ended up talking to a gentleman in the exhibit's store about books by Edward S. Gibbon and Plutarch. Once I had peeled away, he actually came back up to me to discuss a Plutarch book with me; score one for the Fly's ego.

The rest of the night was filled with a fried chicken dinner, and then a couple of hours of good conversation with my most excellent friend CCE. From there, it was back to la Maison de Mike et Mo for Guinness and Mapquest. And here I sit.

I'm off to Bloomington, Indiana today to meet up with friends from college, and then I should make Suffolk by the end of the day (which is to say, midnight) on Tuesday... Or Wednesday. Stay tuned for more posts from both myself and Father Time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home