07 October 2007

Unfinished Business

I know that many of you are bloggers, which means that you write. I'd like to invite any of you to finish writing this article by Mark Leibovich of the New York Times. It has numerous instances of unfinished sentences, obvious portions where the author intended to go back later and add in a full name, it misspells the name of the Toyota Prius, and in one instance it actually refers to the subject of the article, Arizona Senator John McCain, as "Mr. McCall".

I swear, the New York Times must be hiring bums off the street to write and copy edit their articles, just so long as they're liberals. As someone who considers himself a legitimate and responsible journalist, articles such as this one are simply painful to look at.

UPDATE: I'm sending this via the New York Times website:

Mr. Leibovich,

I read your article this morning on the MSN front page ("Fall lands McCain in comfort zone"), and although I'm a supporter of Senator McCain, I must say that as a young freelance journalist myself, I was aghast at the poor quality of your article. While your research was mostly acceptable, your proofreading and attention to detail was a disgrace. You referred to Senator McCain as "Mr. McCall" on a number of occasions, left several sentences obviously unfinished (including the sentence in the very first paragraph that refers to Comedy Central's Jon Stewart), and obviously fail to check a number of items (for example, it's "Prius", not "Pries").

Given the particularly liberal nature of the Times, I highly encourage you and your colleagues to do a better job in the future, particularly with respect to conservative candidates such as Senator McCain. As the upcoming election will be every bit as important as the 2004 election, it is crucial that as many potential voters as possible be presented with coherent information in order that their votes will be informed and responsible.

Respectfully,
[The Fly] (real name used)
[Old Dominion] (real location used)

Let's see if I get a response.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home