20 December 2007

Attack of the Evil Scotsman

Hey folks! Happy Thursday!

* * *

I finished the book of Genesis yesterday. I spent a few minutes yesterday going through old Fly Reports in an effort to keep track of which books of the Bible I've actually read during the last couple of years. When my grandfather died in January of 2005, I started reading the Bible by reading Job, and in October of that year I started tracking my Bible reading via the Fly Report. I still have quite a bit of reading to do before I've finished it, and since I didn't track it initially I'll have to do some rereading. Luckily, and unlike J.D. Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye", there really isn't anything in the Bible that isn't worth rereading.

So, what do I have to read and/or reread? Well, there's
Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, 1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Esther, Psalms, Isaiah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi, Matthew, John, Galatians, Philippians, Titus, Philemon, James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, and Jude. Come to think of it, I know I read Jude, so I'll cross that bad boy (good boy?) off. I may try to read several of these over the next few days - there are worse things in life than sitting down to read the Bible for a half hour.

Anyway.

* * *

A couple of quick bits in the way of news.

Everyone knows that I'm a huge fan of Guinness - in fact, I just enjoyed a delicious Guinness Stout last night. A few weeks ago, thieves in Ireland drove right in, hooked up a truck to a trailer loaded with about four hundred fifty full kegs, and drove off. (AP, BBC) I saw an article a week or two ago saying they'd made some arrest, but I can't find it in my magic list of articles destined for eventual posting or deletion. I wish I had a couple hundred kegs of Guinness. That'd be sweet.

In other news, they've discovered a Roman throne in Herculaneum (which is next to Pompeii, both of which were destroyed by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 AD) and a set of Roman surgical tools in Remini, nearer to Venice. I love it when they find old Roman stuff; in fact, I ought to post a research paper I wrote on some finds. Maybe next week?

* * *

Continuing on this week's theme of entertaining Mighty Mo at work, but breaking from the theme of abnormal a capella selections from choirs staffed by young folks, I present two videos with a Scottish theme. First, Mark Day, an unfortunately Liberal import from Scotland who's quite funny when he's not talking about politics.



And after that, something that has no political value, and that is especially crass (read: not safe for work if you have speakers): "Evil Scotsman" by Billy Connolly, to the tune of "One Hand In My Pocket" by Alanis Morrisette.



I post these things with the knowledge that if Mighty Mo isn't amused and entertained by these selections, I'm due to get a severe beating the next time I visit Texas. And since I still love Wikimapia: Julius Caesar was cremated here, and I've thrown flowers on that very spot.

* * *

Right then, time to get ready for work. Have fun today, folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home