27 June 2008

Quagmires of the Twentieth Century

It's Friday! First thing's first: the conclusion of the Royal Marines in Afghanistan series. I'm not sure what video series will take over next week, but it will once again be a series of news reports out of Afghanistan.



Speaking of Afghanistan, I have two links for you folks today. The first deals extensively with Afghanistan, and will likely be of particular interest to Father Time, TSTF's resident Cold War hero and favorite curmudgeon. What's the topic? The Soviet use of artillery in Afghanistan. For those of you who don't know, Father Time was a mortar NCO in the Vietnam-era United States Army. I've seen a picture of him in uniform, with a bayonet in his teeth and fire in his eyes, and it terrified me to my core... Oh, right, sorry.

Anyway the second link is a detailed discussion of the CH-47 Chinook helicopter, as well as the history of other tandem rotor helicopters and their development over the course of the last sixty years or so. I've been researching these birds, ostensibly as research for the novels I'm working on, so I've taken a great deal of interest in any information I can find on the Chinook and its older brother, the CH-46 Sea Knight. I didn't know until a few months ago that these weren't the same aircraft, and I didn't know until about last week that the two aircraft are actually much different with respect to size. If you have any interest in aviation, and military aviation in particular, I highly recommend you check it out. There are a lot of great pictures.

Since this is a short post, I'll actually go ahead and post a satellite image today. Today's satellite image is... What the heck? It's an overturned ship off the coast of Bur Sudan! That's every bit as fascinating as the grounded freighter on the beach of Nouadhibou, Mauritania!

Have a great weekend, folks. Stay out of the sun, it'll give you awkward tan lines... Just ask Mighty Mo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home