29 August 2008

Arbeit Macht Freitag: Licking Hookers

Hey folks! It's Friday, so I'll do my best to keep news to a minimum, and get quickly to what you come here for: sheer chicanery!

There have been a couple of really interesting articles from the Wired.com "Danger Zone" blog in the last couple of days. A couple of days ago, I mentioned that the military is fielding "manned UAVs" due to the sheer demand for aerial intel and unmanned attack capabilities. Well, apparently the amount of data collected is actually leading to an increased demand for human spooks. Very interesting. Wired also has an interesting article on how the Brits pacified Iraq/Mesopotamia between the two World Wars. Finally, one of my favorite bloggers has an extensive explanation of the situation in Georgia. Very much worth reading.

Okay, chicanery time!

When I was a junior in college, I took (in fact, I think I re-took) an astronomy course. I actually took the whole series in order to satisfy the requirements for both a Navy commission and a Bachelor of Science, but that's a different story. Anyway, my now-deceased professor was a cross between Ben Stein and Kermit the Frog, and his was one of only two or three classes in which I actually fell asleep. I eventually figured out that I could stay awake if I didn't pay any attention, at all - I know, I'm the consummate student. So anyway, at some point during Spring of 2003, I was sitting in his class, and he started talking about work that was done using the Hooker Telescope at Mount Wilson Observatory. He made some joke about how the telescope got its name, and I swear I was the only one among the handful of lecture attendees who actually caught that he was trying to make a joke. So what did I do? I chimed in by saying: "The real question is whether or not they did any collaboration with the Lick Observatory!" The professor was literally the only person who got it, and it was hilarious to watch - he actually slapped the lab table he was standing in front of! Get it? Hooker, Lick? Anyway, the two sites are your satellite images of the day: Mount Wilson/Hooker Telescope, and the Lick Observatory.

Yesterday evening, I ordered two shirts from Ranger Up (whose banner you can see on the left). I ordered their MRE T-Shirt, and their Secret Squirrel T-Shirt. Well, imagine my surprise when they arrived in almost exactly twenty-five hours! One of these days, I'm going to have to actually organize all of my clothes, but it's great to have a couple more excellent military-themed shirts to wear around.

Since I'm in the mood to be a bit irreverent today, the video I've chosen to entertain you into the weekend is Borat himself, Sacha Baron Cohen, interviewing Victoria and David Beckham as Ali G for Comic Relief in the United Kingdom. Enjoy, don't take it too seriously, and if you're overly sensitive, just don't watch!



Have a great weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home