22 September 2008

Crazy Arab Uncles

It's Monday, and I have every hope of making it as productive as the last couple of weeks have been. I feel like I'm finally making progress on some things that I've seriously wanted to do since I lived in California. You folks will read about some of them today, and in the coming weeks. First, though, a few news items.

Friday was actually a very slow news day, although I've picked up a couple of stories over the course of the weekend.

Japanese military elements have successfully shot down a test ballistic missile during an exercise in the United States - but if you ask the hippies, ballistic missile defense is physically impossible. Yeah, okay. On the other side of the world, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad wants to debate John McCain and Barack Obama. I swear, whichever Mullah told Ali Khameini that Ahmedinejad was a great idea... Actually, I can see it now...

Ayatollah Khameini: Okay, boys, we need a new figurehead president to help us in our war with the infidels. Who do we have?
Mullah #1: Well, what if we just recycled Mohammed Khatami?
Ayatollah Khameini: Don't you think that Khatami is a little bit moderate? I mean, these are the Great Satan and the Little Satan that we're talking about.
Mullah #2: Well what about Rafsanjani?
Mullah #1: Oh, yeah, Rafsanjani's good! Did you hear that speech that he gave last week?
Ayatollah Khameini: Are we even having the same conversation here, guys? How about giving me a good suggestion.
Mullah #1: What about Ali Larijani?
Mullah #2: Yeah! Larijani! He'd be great! He has a great beard and everything. Oh, sir, he'd be a great figurehead president.
Ayatollah Khameini: Grow up, Peter Pan! Count Chocula! Come on, this isn't some stupid keynote speaker for Ramadan brunch, this is figurehead president we're talking about. Who else?
Mullah #3: What about Ahmedinejad?
Ayatollah Khameini: Ahmedine-who?
Mullah #3: Yeah, Mahmoud Ahmedinejad. You know, the mayor of Tehran?
Ayatollah Khameini: Oh, it's been so long since I was actually in Tehran. What's he like?
Mullah #1: Mayor Ahmedinejad? Really
Mullah #3: Hear me out. He's a hard-liner, he's educated, totally devout, dedicated to the Mahdi and to the destruction of the Satans and whatnot. He's airtight.
Ayatollah Khameini: Oh, yeah, that guy. Isn't he a bit of a loose cannon?
Mullah #3: I've never seen any evidence of that. Plus, like I said, he's educated. The infidels will be shaking in their boots.
Ayatollah Khameini: What kind of education?
Mullah #3: He has his PhD.
Mullah #2: I thought he went to traffic school!
Mullah #3: No, no, you have it backwards, he's got his PhD in Civil Engineering and Traffic Transportation Planning.
Ayatollah Khameini: Traffic Transportation Planning? You want me to install a glorified pavement mixer as the next figurehead president of the Islamic Revolution?
Mullah #3: Do you have a better option, your Jihadiness?
Ayatollah Khameini: You have a point. Okay, rig up the sham election, I want him to start screaming hate-filled diatribes against the Jews and the Crusaders by the end of the month.
Mullahs: Yes, sir, your Jihadiness!

Anyway. So yeah, Crazy Uncle Mahmoud wants in on the debates. I almost wish that someone would debate with him, because I think that would be about as hilarious as you could get.

After the South Ossetian War in Georgia a few weeks ago, there are a number of considerations as to how Georgia ought to be encouraged to rebuild the military forces that were damaged or destroyed in the war. I've seen several suggestions that the Georgian army ought to learn from the 2006 Israeli-Hezbollah War, and redesign at least part of their military based on the combination symmetric/asymmetric tactics used by Hezbollah in that conflict. As I'll note in an upcoming article on the subject, Russia overcame chronic dysfunction and obsolescence in its tank fleet to strong-arm its way into South Ossetia. They basically used brute force because so many of their tanks had broken down on the way, and if the Georgians had been able to employ a few more guerrilla tactics with just a bit more efficacy, they may not have been railroaded by the Russians. I may expand on this later, but the concept itself is a compelling one, particularly if these Georgian units were appropriately armed by their Western allies. Also, we need to get these kids into NATO, post haste.

Speaking of Russia, a Russian archaeological team appears to have discovered Itil, the long-lost capital city of the ancient Jewish nation of Khazaria. Very cool.

MSN has a couple of articles that are worth reading, if you're in the mood. There's a top ten list of why we hate film critics - a little juvenile in spots, but it makes some good points. They also have an article about the resurgence of tea in American society, a subject that's near and dear to me. It tends to be a lot of free advertising for both credible and goofy tea joints, but there are some interesting tidbits in there, so if you like tea, it's worth checking out.

I'm going to start reading a couple of military themed blogs in order to see if they're worth putting in the sidebar. The first is titled War is Boring, and it's authored by David Axe of the Wired.com Danger Room blog. I'm also going to start checking out the Small Wars Journal, a site that I've heard about in passing but never had the chance to pay much attention to.

Today's video was going to be the trailer for a movie that's coming out later this week that some of you may find interesting. It stars former Growing Pains star Kirk Cameron, and it's called Fireproof. Unfortunately, the embedded media crammed it's way clear into the sidebar, overlapping with some links. I may plug it in for tomorrow, but in the mean time, check out Craig Ferguson. If your name is Mighty Mo, find someone to translate the accent out for you.



Okay, a couple of things about me lately. First, I found yet another page offering a handful of Arabic phrases on the Libyan Jamahiriyah Broadcasting Corporation website, in the form of "Arabic proverbs". I've also identified something, in addition to my Arabic Bible, that I want to use as a tool for learning Arabic: Crazy Uncle Muammar's Green Book, which is available online in both English and Arabic. Of course, the Green Book and it's subject matter aren't as popular with Crazy Uncle Muammar as they once were, as evidenced by the fact that the Libyans are going to privatize industry and hand out oil money. The point, though, is that it's yet another example of a historical document that I can compare in both English and Arabic. Plus, it's hilarious! Just check out this passage that I've cited before:

Women are females and men are males. According to gynaecologists, women menstruate every month or so, while men, being male, do not menstruate or suffer during the monthly period. A woman, being a female, is naturally subject to monthly bleeding. When a woman does not menstruate, she is pregnant. If she is pregnant, she becomes, due to pregnancy, less active for about a year, which means that all her natural activities are seriously reduced until she delivers her baby. When she delivers her baby or has a miscarriage, she suffers puerperium, a condition attendant on delivery or miscarriage. As man does not get pregnant, he is not liable to the conditions which women, being female, suffer. Afterwards a woman may breast-feed the baby she bore. Breast-feeding continues for about two years. Breastfeeding means that a woman is so inseparable from her baby that her activity is seriously reduced. She becomes directly responsible for another person whom she assists in his or her biological functions; without this assistance that person would die. The man, on the other hand, neither conceives nor breast-feeds. End of gynaecological statement!

Can you imagine how hilarious that paragraph must be in Arabic? I can't wait to translate that!

The other thing that I made real progress on during the last week, that I alluded to earlier, is physical fitness. By the end of the week, I will have posted the elements of my work out plan. I intend to hit the pool at the Y tonight, and my program will consist of both the Y and the gym at work, which I used for the first time last week. I'm actually pretty stoked about this, so I'll be posting my progress on a regular basis.

Still no posters and maps up, still no pictures of my place. Hopefully by the end of the week. However, I have news. The Fashionista and Mrs. Mike Nelson were over to hang out on Friday evening, and they were both very impressed with how clean and tidy the place is. That's right, folks: I've officially made my place chick-friendly, but with my own dynamic flair. That, friends, is an excellent thing. Oh, and just for the record, I've been back from Engaland for four years today. We'll see when I get a chance to head back for a visit, either long or short.

Alright, folks, that's it for me today. Check back tomorrow for more, and let's hope that today's a more active news day - and that the economy picks up just a scoche, because this backpedaling on the progress of the last few weeks is really chapping my ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home