16 September 2008

The Usual Chaotic Suspects

Tuesday. Suh-weet.

Okay, I mentioned last week that Kim Jong Il got so ronery that he had himself a stroke, or something. News reports, that are supposedly based on South Korean and Japanese intelligence reports, claim that he's recovering, and has regained the ability to brush is teeth. There are unconfirmed reports that Chairman Kim underwent surgery administered by Chinese doctors last month. The whole thing has triggered a lot of speculation about the eventual succession (Times, BBC), given that Kim has never named an heir. The speculation is even bigger, as Kim has apparently missed another holiday (AP, BBC). So much for his precise and a-compricated pran.

Terrorists have attacked a military detachment in a Mauritanian border city. (AP, BBC) Apparently twelve Mauritanian troops have been killed. I'm guessing there will be more detailed information tomorrow, so I'll post any new details I can find.

There's an interesting article about Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan, and their role in the international economy. Even if your only knowledge of Kazakhstan is from watching Borat, it's still worth reading because Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan are both major energy producers, exporters, and transportation hubs.

And finally, the BBC has learned that the Taliban has been receiving weapons from Iran. They're reticent to speculate as to whether it's the actual Iranian government, isolated groups within the Iranian government, or private citizens that are supplying the weapons to the Taliban. In other words, the BBC doesn't know jack about Iran, at all. You can listen to a blurb in yesterday morning's BBC Global News podcast. Just for the record, I've been talking about this for, you know, like, a year, or something, so the BBC is sort of late coming to this conclusion.

I know it's not Election Thursday, and I know I posted something about the election yesterday, but this one really isn't political as much as it is purely humorous. The one point that I'll make is that if you actually force yourself to watch the Charlie Gibson interview, Governor Palin actually handled Gibson's asine attempt at a "gotcha" question in an extremely adept and informed fashion. Anyway, this was the SNL opener from the other night...



Hilarious.

The only piece of personal news that I have for you folks today is that my PoƤng chair arrived today, and is completely assembled and positioned. I think that I'll do a little bit of tidying up tomorrow after work, put up three or four maps, and then take some pictures, so expect to see them by the end of the week. As usual, I have things to do, so be sure to check in tomorrow for more zany fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home