13 October 2008

Hockey and Wingmen

I hope everyone had a great weekend. Given that there aren't really any news stories that need to be brought to light at the moment, so I'll merely recount my weekend, and then make a couple of notes about the week to come.

On Friday, I went to see the Norfolk Admirals' opening game against the Hershey Bears. I went with co-workers, and it was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the Admirals lost; but on the plus side, they didn't lose by nearly as much as the Norfolk Tides did when I saw them play back in June. Perhaps the most interesting part of the night was right after the game. I've received a number of comments, online and in person, about my pledge to give up dating for six months if I'm not dating someone by the end of October. Well, anyway, this girl who I'd been talking to, who initiated contact with me online and then told me she wasn't interested (and insinuated that she was too nervous to meet me), sent me a text on Friday night after the game. Since my phone's outbox was filled at the time, what follows is an approximate recreation of our conversation.

Hockey Fan: You were there tonight... Weren't you?
The Fly: In my defense, so were you.
Hockey Fan: But I am always there... You are not always there.
The Fly: Good point. It was my first game.
Hockey Fan: Did you like it? And why didn't you just say hello?
The Fly: I wasn't sure it was you, and you said you didn't want to meet me. And they should have played better defense.
Hockey Fan: Okay... First of all, we suck and you have to be willing to love it even when we lose... And secondly... Did you even recognize me, then?
The Fly: By the outer window, blonde hair, jersey, jean skirt, adorable? Yeah, pretty sure.
Hockey Fan: Haha maybe next game...
The Fly: Which? Meeting, or better defense?
Hockey Fan: Better defense. LOL
The Fly: We can only hope.
Hockey Fan: Hockey fan now?
The Fly: It has potential. It depends on the company you keep.
Hockey Fan: I suppose... Who did you go with, then?
The Fly: One guy from work, and one who just quit. You?
Hockey Fan: My dad, his girlfriend, and her son.
The Fly: Cool. Busy weekend?
Hockey Fan: I guess. I have a 5k in the morning, but I might skip it.
The Fly: Let me guess. Diabetes?
Hockey Fan: Umm some education cause. I don't know.
The Fly: Oh, okay. I have an article to write this weekend.
Hockey Fan: I have to write fifteen pages for school. Ugh.
The Fly: Wow. Okay, you win.
Hockey Fan: Well, it was nice to almost meet you, [The Fly]. Have a good night!
The Fly: Thanks! Maybe next time we can move up to eye contact. Have a great night!
Hockey Fan: Haha, you too! PS, I was not wearing a denim skirt. Sorry.
The Fly: Oh? Then what were you wearing?
Hockey Fan: Jeans and a very large yellow jersey.
The Fly: Blonde hair, jersey, adorable. Three out of four ain't bad.
Hockey Fan: Haha, whatever. LOL I'm off to bed. Night.

The moral of the story? Even when shot down in cold blood, the Fly can still be coy, charming, and gracious.

On Saturday, I spent the whole day writing, save for a brief exit to forage for food. Once the article I wrote is published, I'll publish the sanitized version here - hopefully tomorrow. I have a handful of articles in the works for the next couple of weeks, about the following topics:

  • the impact of Mauritania on global security
  • the Russian dilemma
  • the current strength/weakness of al Qaeda

    My hope is that I can get these written within the next week or two. Normally, I'm only published on my parallel writing endeavour every other week. I need to get back and focused on my novels, but there are some things that I feel the need to get out in article form in the immediate future.

    So, at the risk of coming off like a self-involved goon who only jabbers on and on about himself, today's video is one of the most hilarious I've ever seen, even though I hate that particular type of beer. Behold, Coors Light's classic "Wingman" commercial.



    More tomorrow, folks. Stay tuned, and have an outstanding Columbus Day.
  • 1 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That's good.
    Thanks

    9:04 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home