04 December 2008

Blasts from Thursdays Past

I dreamed last night that I was substituting for Bono as lead singer of U2 during a concert, and The Edge actually told me to my face that I wasn't a very good singer. Ouch.

Okay, first, the news. Just a few items, so I'm going to bullet point them.

  • Could this picture be any more suggestive, or revolting? (image)
  • The Sons of Iraq Graduate from Iraqi Police Academy (image)
  • NATO caves on letting Georgia and Ukraine in, restores ties with Russia
  • German soldiers too fat to fight

    Today's video is something funny I ran across this morning: "deleted scenes" from the original Star Wars flick.



    A couple of years ago, when I was rolling north from Zoo Station to Hometown, I was flipping around the radio dial and came across a show out of Salt Lake City called The Nightside Project. To this day, I have no clue whether atmospheric conditions (sunny and cool) and geography (somewhere between Genada and Yreka, California) contributed to an excellent radio signal from KSL in Salt Lake City, or whether it was just being rebroadcast on a radio network, but I really enjoyed the show, and looked it up a couple of times before moving to Van Diemen's Station. (Interestingly enough, when I was living in the Mojave Desert, I could consistently pick up an AM radio station in Washington State every morning on my way to work, provided that it was before sunrise.) I downloaded the three hour-long podcasts from Tuesday night and put them on my mp3 player before work yesterday morning. They were tolerable, so I think I'll give the Wednesday show a try - I may have found my latest podcast fix. If you're interested in a sort of edgy talk radio debate style (which is admittedly tinged with references to Mormonism and Utah culture - sort of a pet interest of mine), their podcasts can be downloaded here.

    It's also entertaining to run across websites that you've never heard of, even though they've been on the Internet for more than a decade. Today, while skimming the archived Bad Astronomy Revenge of the Sith review, I ran across the Evil Overlord List. Aside from thinking that this would be perfect reading material for a number of regular readers and lurkers of this blog, it was just so darned entertaining that I decided to share it with all of you. The crazy part? The list has been up for at least twelve years, going back to the early days of Internet Explorer 3 and Netscape Navigator 3. Considering that Microsoft is now on Version 7, and Netscape is officially dead, that's a rare thing to find. Action movie fans will delight in its subject matter. Go have a look.

    On final note. Father Time and I don't always get along, particularly when I ask him for his professional opinion on causation and he instead provides wise and curmudgeonly advice. However, he remains one of my best friends, and one of my closest and most trusted advisors. If I ever became president, assuming that he was still alive at that point, I would almost certainly make him my Secretary of Health and Human Services while I decided whether or not to obliterate that department - and if I didn't, he'd stay on! Thanks for your friendship and wisdom, Father Time, even if we're sometimes at loggerheads.

    That's it for today, folks. I'd love to say that I'll get a lot done this evening, but I have a feeling that I'll be in bed by 20:30 to make up for my late (albeit productive) night last night. Have a great day, and don't forget to check in tomorrow.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home