27 November 2008

Thankful for Bullets Dodged

This will be somewhat brief. I know I said that I wasn't going to post anything today, and I didn't intend to, but I just couldn't let this one go.

When I was a senior in high school, I accompanied my parents on a business trip to New Orleans. I knew a handful of folks from New Orleans, Slidell, and Hammond from chatting on IRC and ICQ (which most of you probably don't even know about), and this was the perfect opportunity to meet them. I hung out with the girl I knew from New Orleans on a Saturday, and her mother (who was positively saintly) invited me to join them for church. After church the next day, she became one of the first girls I ever kissed. We chatted for a few weeks after that, but we lost contact after a while, and I always wondered what happened to her.

I found her, married, on Facebook last night. She confirmed my friend request, and I went and looked, and hachi machi, did I dodge a bullet on that one. She's married with two kids now, and boy oh boy, did she balloon up. She was curvy to begin with in college, but I can't imagine finding her attractive now, unless she was my wife and those were my kids. It seems that for every jealous moment that Facebook inspires, it more than makes up with it by giving me visions of what my life - and wife - could have looked like.

Happy Thanksgiving, folks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home