11 February 2009

Still Catching Up

Well, I was basically out of the news gathering business for about three weeks. Since I got back from vacation, I've been gathering news with a vengeance - which is to say, there have been a handful of articles over the last week or two that I wanted to post, but I didn't have the opportunity. So, what's the solution?

The solution is this: themed posts. Over the next week or so, I will be writing a series of posts on a variety of focused topics. There will be one entitled "Life Imitates Art", another entitled "I Love the Internet" - basically, they're going to sound sort of like Fly of various Jeopardy categories. I do good work when I'm organizing things, so categorizing all of these hanging links is a good tactic for me.

So, for today's post, rather than just post another "check back tomorrow" notice, I'm going to go through some of the extraneous links that are tough to classify. Expect some bullet points, and some actual writing from me. Will this be one of my best posts? Probably not, but hopefully most of you will find something interesting.

First off, a bunch of stories about Libya and Crazy Uncle Muammar.

  • Gaddafi vows to push Africa unity
  • Note the contrast: the AP says "Dismay After al-Qaddafi Chosen to Head African Union", while Libyan media says "Electing the leader Algathafi the AU Chairman is a global event that exceeds the African continent's boundaries"
  • Gaddafi condemns Africa democracy

    That last one is interesting, because Qaddhafi's entire political philosophy is still based on the "Third Universal Theory" that he set out in The Green Book, which I've commented on previously. Well, there are a couple of interesting articles from the last several years that put the current state of Qaddhafi's "Third Universal Theory" in context.

  • Green Book Unavailable World Wide
  • In Libya, pages fade in once-touted Green Book

    That second one is the better of the two. The first article basically says that the Libyan government spends money every year to establish diplomatic hubs to teach the world about Qaddhafi's philosophy, but the hubs don't actually have any copies of his book, and some of the employees have never even heard of it.

    Bullet points.

  • U.N. Says Hamas Seized Aid Meant for Needy Civilians
  • Scavenger army goes to waste as crunch bites
  • Irish Politician Bans TV Ads About Global Warming

    If you're a U2 fan, do yourself a favor and check out this video from the Guardian, in which a reporter gets some inside footage of U2's recording session for their latest album in Fez, Morocco.

    Mrs. Mike Nelson pointed me to an interesting website today, which then pointed me to the front page of a newspaper in a town that I spent a few childhood vacations in. The newspaper's biggest headline read: Millican, what's left of it, is up for sale - again. Millican holds a sort of tongue-in-cheek classification as a "town", but it's really a collection of a few buildings, spread out across a few dozen acres in the middle of the desert of Central Oregon. It's not much to speak of, as you can see from this satellite image of the area. One of the only reasons why Millican is noteworthy, in fact, is that it's the landmark one looks for when turning off the highway to go to Pine Mountain Observatory, which you can see on this satellite image. I went to PMO twice when I was younger, once with my family when it was open, and once with a friend (it didn't turn out to be open that night, much to my chagrin, but we had my telescope so it was still fun). Both times, it was a fascinating experience, and if you ever find yourself in Central Oregon during a warm summer weekend, I'd highly recommend the experience. There's also an interesting travel diary entry from some guy who travels a lot. Bored at work? Check it out.

    Tomorrow, I'll have the first of my themed posts. Check in, and check it out. In the mean time, have a great Wednesday.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home