18 March 2009

Black Cleopatra

Hey, folks! Many of you have expressed concern, mostly away from the blog, about my health. It's not perfect, but it's improving, and I spent about ten and a half hours at work yesterday to start making up hours. Like I said, not perfect, but vastly better than I was over the course of the weekend.

I don't have the time to put up a long post (I know, boo, hiss, nobody's reading this), but I did want to put up a few things.

One of my favorite web comics is xkcd, and one of my favorite xkcd comics involves people playing chess on a rollercoaster. Well, apparently the comic has inspired people to actually pose for such pictures. The last one is the best. Mighty Mo, this one's for you.

Last week, the Times of London had a fun article entitled Those nice Vikings did a lot for us - and it wasn't all pillaging. I'm guessing that some of the bit that wasn't pillaging was raping, which isn't something to brag up, but go ahead and check out the article if you're at all interested in Vikings. Not so fun is a BBC article that claims - get this, Gus - that "Cleopatra's mother 'was African'." Gus and I studied such concepts under the so-called "Black Athena" heading when we were in college, and claims such as this have been summarily demonstrated to be baseless. Even if Cleopatra's sister was the product of a union between a Ptolemaic father and an African mother (which in and of itself would be unlikely, given that ancient Egyptians aren't what anyone would really consider to be strict "Africans"), there is no basis in this theory unless they find the body of Cleopatra (unlikely) and it shows African ancestry (unlikely). I'm not saying this to be racist - I'm saying this to be an objective historian, apparently an objective historian in a larger sea of revisionists than I had originally thought.

According to China, their carbon emissions are our problem, not theirs on account of they're just making stuff for export. Now, I've been very clear about my skepticism about global warming, but that doesn't mean that I'm anti-environment, and I've been quite clear in my opinion that no matter whether or not global warming is absolute hogwash, less pollution is obviously a good thing. Basically, the Chinese are being wankers.

Yesterday's funniest item was that Russia has announced that it will be rearming itself. (BBC, Guardian, Times) The BBC opened up a forum in which people could leave comments about whether this was a good thing or not. Most of the BBC's pinko, America-hating readers were in favor of it, but one person, whose comment appears to have been removed despite its poignance, read as follows:

"Rebuilding the military is a great way to economic recovery. Just look at history."
- Adolf, Berlin, Germany

Hysterical, and right on the money.

And finally, Mohammed Khatami apparently won't run for president of Iran. (CNN, BBC, Times) Welcome to Groundhog Day, because without Khatami running against him, I'm predicting five more years of Crazy Uncle Mahmoud.

Just for fun, here's a gun video that everyone should be able to appreciate, and some might be interested in sharing. It involves a cop!



Have a great day, ladies and gentlemen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home