23 March 2009

Isolated Islands and Ammunition Shortages

Hey, folks! I spent this weekend making up for not having been able to do anything last weekend. I'm still recovering from whatever it is that made me sick last week, but I'm a lot better than I was at this time a week ago. I have just a couple of items to share today.

I saw an interesting article this weekend about a guy who's banned from an island. On closer reading, it turns out that he was banned from ever stepping foot aboard a remote, isolated British protectorate in the South Atlantic. Why? Because he quoted a book in which a former visitor to the island discussed a fling that he'd had with a local girl, and the local council decided that this article constituted a betrayal of their town secret. If it sounds bizarre, that's because it is bizarre, and that's what makes it fascinating. The Island (which has only one small town) is in the Tristan da Cunha island chain, a group of about four or five main islands with a handful of smaller islands that's a couple thousand miles west-southwest of South Africa. You can see the island in question at this satellite map.

The other item of interest is that there's an ammunition shortage in the United States. You might think that it's just all of the gun nuts, terrified that President Obama is going to take their guns and ammo - and that's part of it, but you might be interested to find out that the lion's share of the blame goes to police departments across the country. Read the link to find out why. I plan to personally berate Gus myself before I buy him a beer. Then again, maybe the problem is Mighty Mo and her little pink gun...

Oh, and just for good measure, I'll throw in a video from James Rolfe, the Angry Video Game Nerd: Cinemassacre's Top 10 Car Chases. Check it out!



That's it for today, folks. Have an excellent day, and check in tomorrow for my latest article for my parallel writing endeavour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home