27 October 2009

Beer Run: October 2009

Hey, folks! It's Beer Run day! First, more of my news catch-up, then the Beer Run update.

* * *

Anglicans and Roman Catholicism:
  • USA Today: Is Catholic Church rustling - or just welcoming - Anglican converts?
  • National Post: Amen to a good offer
  • Wall Street Journal: Vatican in Bold Bid to Attract Anglicans
  • BBC: Rome rules on admitting Anglicans

    I think that this offer by the Roman Catholic Church to conservative Anglicans is both fascinating and envigorating. In no uncertain terms, this represents an unequivocal indication of just how broken the Anglican Communion is. It's schizophrenic, the only "leadership" is from the branches of the Communion that have lost any trace of accountability, and it's obvious. It's so obvious, that Anglican clergy have been making requests of the Holy See to allow them to have a special dispensation within the Roman Catholic Church, and the Holy See has responded.

    I'm not positive that I'll start going to Mass, but I'm thinking about it. The Roman Catholic Church has caused me to keep it at arms length because there are so many items of doctrine and dogma that I disagree with - things that are just plain wrong, ahistorical, et cetera. This development could very well allow me to put those differences behind me, as the Roman Catholic Church appears to be ready to accept Anglicans as they are, as a sort of church-within-a-church. That's profoundly stirring, and should send a message to devout Anglicans everywhere, not to mention the leaders of the Anglican Communion.

    General News:
  • US Biden to reassure Poles (BBC, AFP) - Yeah, I'm really positive that Vice President Biden is reassuring the Eastern European allies that President Obama gave the finger to on the anniversary of the Nazi invasion of Poland. Seriously.
  • CNN: Greenpeace protests genetically modified corn in Mexico - Greenpeace is protesting Mexican efforts to feed people. Unbelievable.
  • CNN: Atheist ads to adorn New York subway stations - Is it just me, or are most evangelistic Christian advertisements a lot more uplifting than these obnoxious Atheist billboards that they've taken to running on public transportation?
  • BBC: Australia to review Afghan force - Australia is looking to pull out of Afghanistan. Thanks, Kevin Rudd.
  • BBC: African view: China's new long march
  • BBC: Violent clashes in Algiers slums
  • BBC: US arms Mali to battle al-Qaeda
  • BBC: Bedouin who serve in Israel's army
  • Guardian: Iran will do business but not with France
  • Guardian: Religion, HIV and the developing world
  • Guardian: You can be good without God, Denham tells church leaders - Most people just aren't. They've done studies of this.
  • Guardian: A moral atrocity: Judge Goldstone has been suckered into letting war criminals use his name to pillory Israel
  • Guardian: Climate change in Siberia - 'Our reindeer go hungry'
  • Guardian: The great birdwatching war hero
  • Times: The decade that changed who we were - An article about the first decade of the new millennium.
  • Times: [British] Women have got greedy with maternity leave
  • Times: Britain and US reject Iranian accusations over terror attacks
  • Times: Yemen could become first nation to run out of water
  • Times: Tory stance on European Union worries Obama
  • UPI: Iran's enemy within strikes again
  • UPI: Turkey set to sue Israel as rift deepens
  • UPI: Walker's World: China's new enemies
  • Michael Totten: From Bucharest to Chernobyl
  • Michael Yon: Adopt-a-stan

    * * *

    It's been a while since I did a beer run. Through a business deal with some co-workers whereby I took some notes for them during a series of meetings, I was inundated with four six-packs of Guinness Extra Stout. It was wonderful, but it certainly delayed my regular beer run cycle. I refused to drink the rest of that horrible Hoegaarden, and I only had one bottle of Guinness left by this weekend, so I did a beer run when I was out grocery shopping on Sunday. I picked up my signature six six-packs, and this is what I got:

  • Guinness Extra Stout
  • Harp Lager
  • Widmer Hefeweizen
  • Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat
  • Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde
  • Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier

    For those of you who have seen my Beer Run posts in the past, none of these will come as a surprise. I've had all of these before, and none of them are particularly adventuresome. In the coming weeks, following the end of this Iraq disappointment, I want to get back to basics on a number of things, just to regain a sense of personal equilibrium. Familiar beer will help with that, I hope.

    * * *

    That's it for today. Tomorrow, I'll finish up the news catch-up process, and throw in Father Time's favorite post of the month: the Stuff Fly Wants list. Until then, have a great Tuesday.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home