20 December 2004

Honor and Glory

I was checking out Adopt a Sniper, Keystone soldiers, and a couple other sites.

I've never been to Iraq. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd imagine I'll probably never end up there, though I could be wrong. Right now, I wish I was there. I wish that I could be there in proxy for one of my countrymen. I don't care about Christmas; I'd rather spend it among my mates than among family, because I honestly don't enjoy this time of year. I wish that I could be there, helping the Iraqis build a free republic. I wish that I, through my presence in Iraq, could allow someone to be home for the holidays.

There's no glory in the death of a soldier for his country; the glory comes from his sacrifice, which occurs whether he lives or dies. The very act of forsaking guaranteed safety in order to guarantee the safety of others is honorable, whether one is forced to sacrifice his life or not. There's no glory in killing for your country; it's just something that has to be done on occasion in the defense of freedom.

It's a difficult time. I think we can overcome it. I wish I were able to contribute more than words and a bit of cash in an effort to help. Tonight, that's my frustration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home